• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been getting colder run to run here on the Island as well. 
Yes... This looks like Nassau (and at last western suffolk) is in for a really hard hit. It appears that the storm will be really tight, perhaps the fire hose can be muted

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The low has trended westward somewhat on the 0Z models, but the only model that has somewhat concerning mid level temps for the immediate NYC metro is the 3k NAM and thats only for a short period of time. The rest of the models are decently cold throughout the levels of the atmosphere. Out towards the central Long Island it may be a different story.

Just now, Ace said:

The low has trended westward somewhat on the 0Z models, but the only model that has somewhat concerning mid level temps for the immediate NYC metro is the 3k NAM and thats only for a short period of time. The rest of the models are decently cold throughout the levels of the atmosphere. Out towards the central Long Island it may be a different story.

Agree

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

the GFS is not decently cold - Im not saying its right...just pointing out what its showing for Queens/Nassau etc

5 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

does this sounding look like snow?

gfs_2018030600_045_40.75--73.75.png

That could be snow. Basically the warm layer is below about 940 mb as it looks to me like the parcel temp intersects the 0 line just below 1/2 way between the 850 and 1000mb level. Probably rain/snow mix

2 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

the GFS is not decently cold - Im not saying its right...just pointing out what its showing for Queens/Nassau etc

I have a hard time putting any sort of weight on the GFS thermals from 925mb downward, but you do make a valid point that they should be considered. We'll see how things evolve over the next 24 hours.

6 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

It does look slightly warmer at 850 than last run, and the 700/850 low tracks are close. Would probably be snow for most but close on the coast. 

1 minute ago, weatherbear5 said:

That could be snow. Basically the warm layer is below about 940 mb as it looks to me like the parcel temp intersects the 0 line just below 1/2 way between the 850 and 1000mb level. Probably rain/snow mix

that verbatim isnt even white rain

38 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

This seems a good time to remind everyone that it sleeted in NYC during, among other storms, 1996 and PDII.  For Chrissake if you lose .2 of QPF to sleet and you get 1.3” of QPF as snow, you’re still freakin buried.

I don't think this is that kind of category, and anyway last year was supposed to be historic  and well, ya know....superstorm March 93 sleeted for hours, that kept us under a foot, but yeah it was a big daddy of a storm nonetheless. This puppy isn't in the category of those storms. What can we do about it anyway?

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

With that wind direction there is no chance the boundary layer is that warm.  Even last week in a worse air mass it was 34-35 

I heard that line 100 times last week...im still waiting for my 9" of snow every model promised me other than the GFS

5 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

that verbatim isnt even white rain

You know the 0c line is skewed diagonally to the right, not vertical, right? It's below 0c above about 940-950mb, above freezing below that. That's not a terribly thick warm layer

16 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

does this sounding look like snow?

gfs_2018030600_045_40.75--73.75.png

Could definitely be snow.  Lowest levels above freezing have a northeast flow.  What is the surface pressure at this time?  Is 1000mb the surface?

And, its should be noted that the pasted graphic has a note in the lower right that the "best guess precip type" is Snow.

3 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

explain please (i would like to learn). The warm layer seems pretty thick...

the 700-925mb layer is sufficiently cold and the boundary layer sufficiently (but incorrectly) dry that most flakes wouldn't melt, especially considering that decent omegas and really nice lapse rates aloft suggest heavy/convective precip rates.

their algorithm also guesses it as snow.

1 minute ago, purduewx80 said:

the 700-925mb layer is sufficiently cold and the boundary layer sufficiently (but incorrectly) dry that most flakes wouldn't melt, especially considering that decent omegas and really nice lapse rates aloft suggest heavy/convective precip rates.

their algorithm also guesses it as snow.

Thank you for the explanation.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived