• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Meteoropoulos said:

Got it. Like last weeks storm where the low tracked west into the Atlantic once it was closed off, and that closing off intensity allowed for the vertical drop of just enough cold air to turn many to snow. Without that closing off, there just wouldn't have been enough cold air from the north, so it took it from directly above?

Sorry, I am a LONG time lurker here and just trying to learn even more by actually posting. Lol. I  REALLY appreciate all of the wonderful insight and knowledge that I have learned from here thought the last few years. Especially yourself UlsterCountySnowZ! I miss the days when you used to do the play by plays on those 2am EURO runs and all the other models. Dont see that as much around here anymore. I truly loved the small descriptive to the point posts as the frames were coming out, and jumped when I see the word, "crushed".  I swear I had popcorn a couple of night. Lol

Again, thanks for all you do and to the rest of the forum!

Pete 

Like your user name, Peter.  I married a Greek girl.  :)  Agree with your sentiments as well.

Having just read Mt Holly's 4 am update, it seems that this is likely a repeat of last March's storm. They say 195 should be the dividing line between rain and snow.....which is why I never get excited for March storms. No way that rain line kisses my area without moving in. They call it a difficult forecast. NW is still safe, which is what you'd expect. Went to bed WNYC was talking snow, now they are talking rain and "up to" 6 inches of snow in the city. I expect this will become clearer today; other thing they point out is iffy cold air. That was my takeaway anyway. 

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Having just read Mt Holly's 4 am update, it seems that this is likely a repeat of last March's storm. They say 195 should be the dividing line between rain and snow.....which is why I never get excited for March storms. No way that rain line kisses my area without moving in. They call it a difficult forecast. NW is still safe, which is what you'd expect. Went to bed WNYC was talking snow, now they are talking rain and "up to" 6 inches of snow in the city. I expect this will become clearer today; other thing they point out is iffy cold air. That was my takeaway anyway. 

The storm last year was much warmer

This will not be a repeat.

Just now, Snow88 said:

The storm last year was much warmer

This will not be a repeat.

Well you're Upton, haven't read theirs yet. For me the writing is on the wall. I'm just relaying what I read from the folks who do this stuff for a living. Still, won't be disappointed with 6, it's March.

Just now, allgame830 said:

Yes that is absurd.... not happening! 

Mt Holly seemed to be saying something about totals being cut down ( predictable IMO with most storms ) but didn't give specific numbers, but local reports are suggesting 6 for my area. Which is a good March storm for us.

This will wiggle back east obviously it' going to tuck in reality just not as much as nam and gfs  I do however expect it to stall off the long island cause of the block. And the storm begins earlier than late morning Anthony it should start by 

3am but the real heavy stuff around 9:30. This could potentially have thunder snow around 1pm as the daytime heating really makes this storm explode! 

It would be pretty epic if the Euro failed this miserably again this close in.  Then again last event it actually did play til it’s last run 12 hours before and that was more it’s snow maps that failed than anything else.  I think the Euro is too east but I also don’t know if I believe the extreme west solutions either.   My initial hunch was this would track across far eastern LI.  The setup changed with the kick east which O felt would prevent an LI landfall and push the track just east of there.  

We'll have to see what 12z says but I said yesterday that we're not out of the woods near the coast for a last minute west/warm trend. That's why it was impossible to guess over 3-6". The Euro run was encouraging and makes me think the GFS/NAM went a little too far at 6z, but those are possibilities here. The Canadian 6z products were colder than the GFS/NAM but may have ticked slightly warmer from 0z. We have little wiggle room here, and we really need the low to move NE/ENE after hugging to ACY. If not, high chance it goes to rain or dryslots. 12z should tell the tale if there's a new west and amped trend or this was a fluke. 

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It would be pretty epic if the Euro failed this miserably again this close in.  Then again last event it actually did play til it’s last run 12 hours before and that was more it’s snow maps that failed than anything else.  I think the Euro is too east but I also don’t know if I believe the extreme west solutions either.   My initial hunch was this would track across far eastern LI.  The setup changed with the kick east which O felt would prevent an LI landfall and push the track just east of there.  

What are the implications? 

Just now, jm1220 said:

We'll have to see what 12z says but I said yesterday that we're not out of the woods near the coast for a last minute west/warm trend. That's why it was impossible to guess over 3-6". The Euro run was encouraging and makes me think the GFS/NAM went a little too far at 6z, but those are possibilities here. The Canadian 6z products were colder than the GFS/NAM but may have ticked slightly warmer from 0z. We have little wiggle room here, and we really need the low to move NE/ENE after hugging to ACY. If not, high chance it goes to rain or dryslots. 12z should tell the tale if there's a new west and amped trend or this was a fluke. 

I’m not sure there really is a middle ground on this other than a narrow corridor. This is probably a pounding of snow or mostly rain/dry slot.  That is sort of what 12/30/00 was except a narrow area in central Suffolk where they saw 4-8 and changed over 

Things looking good, glad to see the Euro cave some and come West. 

Let’s not forget that the Euro failed miserably at this range for the January 15 blizzard, where it had heavy snow back to the Poconos and reality was the Hudson River, so it’s happened before. Main difference is it was on its own then, and now agreement is good on most guidance other than BL temps. 

I think the threat of dry slotting is real, especially East of the Hudson River, but that’s the risk you take in order to get the strongest dynamics onshore.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Things looking good, glad to see the Euro cave some and come West. 

Let’s not forget that the Euro failed miserably at this range for the January 15 blizzard, where it had heavy snow back to the Poconos and reality was the Hudson River, so it’s happened before. Main difference is it was on its own then, and now agreement is good on most guidance other than BL temps. 

I think the threat of dry slotting is real, especially East of the Hudson River, but that’s the risk you take in order to get the strongest dynamics onshore.

I don't think west trend is good for some of us, the runs overnight shown here and the info from Mt Holly are not encouraging, though you are ok it seems.

Crankyweatherguy has a nice explanation of storm's evolution and models' difficulty rendering it. Basically,   many models are not handling the occlusion correctly, which leads to an innacuate thermal forecast. Resulting in more rain and less snow along the coast. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived