• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

It's moving towards consensus. NAM is the west outlier and Euro the east outlier. I'd be pretty shocked if the Euro doesn't bump west today or tonight. 

The other question is when the east hook begins. A sooner closing off may help it start jogging east earlier. The hug up to around Cape May looks real-what happens after that is what'll make or break it around NYC. 

Agreed.. The euro is without a doubt the eastern outlier tho. Considering how the NAM remains tucked in and all other guidance leaning in that direction, it cannot be discounted. The GFS is prob closest to reality right now

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It's moving towards consensus. NAM is the west outlier and Euro the east outlier. I'd be pretty shocked if the Euro doesn't bump west today or tonight. 

The other question is when the east hook begins. A sooner closing off may help it start jogging east earlier. The hug up to around Cape May looks real-what happens after that is what'll make or break it around NYC. 

The one common denominator today is that the models are forecasting a closer in track near SNJ. Like you said, it's how sharp a hook to the east after that which will make the forecast.

Just now, bluewave said:

The one common denominator today is that the models are forecasting a closer in track near SNJ. Like you said, it's how sharp a hook to the east after that which will make the forecast.

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_12.thumb.png.7df5140411ece693fb5f9e7c45d82b62.png

Wow.. Thats a pretty good consensus between the OP & its ensembles

1 minute ago, snywx said:

Wow.. Thats a pretty good consensus between the OP & its ensembles

This is not good news for coastal locations . If this closer to the coast track verifies , coastal flooding is going to be a major problem again 

17 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I think it's more the wind that people could do without. It's a disaster zone in a lot of places, especially to the Southwest of NYC.

North too :( I'm still dark and cold 50 miles.due north of midtown. The sheer number of lines still down is overwhelming. More than half of my town is still without power and most traffic lights in the region are still not working either. Getting around is challenging but getting better. I am going to have to go get more firewood again before dark though :(

Ukie was great for the coast
Haha Anthony... I said may be. Secondly... All models are starting to hint that this phase over nc/SC area. That type of phase without a strong HP to force it somewhat off the coast is normally a hard track to keep LI as all frozen. Not impossible, but hard. So while the ukie is great for the coast, it's been in the euro camp, and it is caving (seemingly) towards the American models. This gives me pause for a blockbuster for LI.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Yeah.. Writing may be on the wall for LI with this one

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not so sure about that yet, I think the NAM may be overdone. But to me this looked like one that could easily trend west and amped, and the ridging east of the low would allow a hugger track. The low is compact so there will be cold air close to the center, but the upper air pattern and earlier tendency to phase aren’t good either. It’s going to more of a 3/14/17 look which isn’t what I want to see. The Euro being stout on an east track is a little encouraging at least. Hopefully tonight and early tomorrow we’ll see what wins out. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived