Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter

George BM

1 minute ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

I'm sticking this one out. It won't take much to trend more favorably and we still have almost a day.

i could see a last minute trend to a light event, but it's gonna tough at this point with all the globals hinting otherwise.  we need a jan 00 at this point.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WARNING: Rant ahead

Awful...just awful...I would feel a little better if areas in all other directions hadn't gotten hit with at least one storm this winter...but they did and we didn't. It's just not right...in one winter, all these chances and close calls...and nothing. This one will probably hurt the most...If we don't pull a hail Mary here....there is nobody else in the country who deserves to have a monster winter next year more than we do. We've earned it...suffered enough. It's been awful and for me, mentally draining. I've spent way more mental energy on this winter than I should have. And today, I'm flat out depressed and tired...and wondering why I wasted SO much time tracking storms (especially this one)

These past how winters have sometimes made me wish for the time I didn't know what weather models were. But now that I know...I can't help myself. Can't back away everytime there's a chance. Anxiously awaiting every z time...And this past week, I've been glued to my phone, as the models kept giving us hope by being so close. That's  the painful part...It's like "It has to snow. We're due." and then...nope

I wish I knew why I do this...Is frozen water anything to get stressed or depressed over? I'd like to see a psychiatrist's opinion on why we in this forum do what we do, lol But for me this is almost an addiction.

It's gonna take me a few days to mentally recover from all this because I gave it so much energy. I just want a fair shot at snow...and I don't have the money or resources to move to another snowier location even if I wanted to. If we get no Niño again next winter...not sure I wanna see how that turns out. But we don't deserve another winter like this...we just don't. Ohh if I could push a button I would have it snow all winter. But now...to pick up the mental pieces and try and re-integrate into reality again, lol

But alas...we have no control, lol But again...awful, miserable, terrible, horrible, no good very bad winter (snow-wise, anyway).

End rant

14 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

@C.A.P.E.

I might be at RAR and or Evolution on Thursday evening. I'll buy you a beer if you're in the area.

Stop in Easton on your way and I can meet you for a beer at the Washington St Pub after work.

eta- Or are you already going to be in the area? LOL I just assumed you would be driving down from Bmore that day.

5 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

It's not advised to be emotionally invested in snow around here. In the future you will need to day-trip to Canada so might as well get used to it. We had a good run - 09-10 utterly blows anything our parents experienced away.

And to be fair...this decade alone has, imo, seen more 12"+ events than the previous two deacdes. I'm only 27, but I can't remember a 8-9 year stretch like this one where it happened more often. So there's something...maybe we're paying for it now, lol

9 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And to be fair...this decade alone has, imo, seen more 12"+ events than the previous two deacdes. I'm only 27, but I can't remember a 8-9 year stretch like this one where it happened more often. So there's something...maybe we're paying for it now, lol

To be blunt. Maybe it's easier for me to let go. Big snows no longer impress me and i've seen the damage and baggage that comes with region-wide blizzards. The Jan 2016 coastal gave Cape May it's highest tidal flooding - surpassing Sandy. As for why the big snows stopped happening locally it would appear that's a story for another time but unless some unforeseen negative feedback happens this region is destined to become a subtropical vacation spot in the winter.

Read some studies on how low solar enhances regional warming along the 75-80th Meridians due to changes in how heat is distributed but leads to cooling over the Pacific - and thus lower global temperatures overall. Small forcing with big implications so that means AGW has 4x the implications as it is a much larger forcing.

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Stop in Easton on your way and I can meet you for a beer at the Washington St Pub after work.

U and I need to meet for lunch for something. I'll go to a bar too. I'm in Cambridge all the time lately (there right now) but I drive back and forth often. We should meet up and talk trucks and stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

U and I need to meet for lunch for something. I'll go to a bar too. I'm in Cambridge all the time lately (there right now) but I drive back and forth often. We should meet up and talk trucks and stuff. 

Plenty of great places to eat in Easton, outside of the pub(which I go to mainly because of the craft beer selection). I go out for lunch a lot when I am at work, so defo can do, even during the week.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Plenty of great places to eat in Easton, outside of the pub(which I go to mainly because of the craft beer selection). I go out for lunch a lot when I am at work, so defo can do, even during the week.

Let's make it happen this spring. Nothing crazy. Just an hour or two in a relaxed atmosphere. I have a hunch we see eye to eye on a lot of stuff. I'll message you when I know I'll be rolling through easton a few days in advance. 

43 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah, there have been many great events that many here will remember for a while. The 3 09/10 blizzards, Jan 30th 2010, Jan 26th 2011 (one of my personal favorites), Feb 12-14 2014, St. Patty's day storm, March 5th 2015, GB 2016, and other smaller ones that are still memorable. In fact, 14/15 was the best 3 year stretch for Dulles in it's history. That's impressive. We've had many impressive storms. Vice Regent is probably all over the "less snow, more blizzards" theory. 

Like Psu said, unlike our last bad 2 year stretch, our odds don't really go up to get a good winter next year, because this winter wasn't bad for the entire East coast. In fact, replace the DC/Mid Atlantic snowhole with another great lake, and this winter was a great one for the East coast. A prolonged cold period, many big events (2 KU events basically, Jan 4th & last weeks event). We were just extremely unlucky. Just about every event trended worse until game time (except the Feb event), and this "event" tomorrow is no different. It just sucks. No other way to describe it whatsoever. Despite us having some great winters since 09/10, is this what we deserve? There may be no such thing as snow karma, but this winter it certainly felt like their was. It's just like 09/10 for Boston, but on a whole different level. 

This also opens the door to a 3rd crappy season in a row next year, which will probably involve a lot of weenie suicides & my snow drought thread being pinned. That would be brutal. I guess it makes sense this winter sucked. 4 out of 5 winters at DCA/IAD/BWI being above average would be pretty ridiculous. I guess it wasn't meant to be, but this is a kind of brutal punishment.

Oh well, on to next year. Perhaps we'll be a bit more humble next year, or a bit more snow hungry. I guess we'll find out 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Since you are in Cambridge often I am sure you frequent Jimmy and Sooks? We have a beach house in OC and stop at the restaurant probably 8 friday nights a year on the way to OC. I love their crab dip!

50 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Since you are in Cambridge often I am sure you frequent Jimmy and Sooks? We have a beach house in OC and stop at the restaurant probably 8 friday nights a year on the way to OC. I love their crab dip!

Bob and ckskinsfan. I have relatives in Cambridge and my family home in Salisbury. In Cambridge there is a 50 year old tackle shop right in the main road off 50-Speddens. That's my cousin 

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yep, been going there since they opened the small location. Got too popular so they have a big one now. Love their food and service. Stokes is a newish wood fired pizza joint. Amazing pizza. The real deal wood fired oven with perfect crust and gourmet cheese and toppings. Cambridge is a weird town but I like it  well enough 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived