Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

lol digging deep to help us feel better about our awful season?

Nope, just finding stuff to add to the winter storm archive thread. Decided to dive into the SNE thread, and they seemed like some depressed weenies

life has gotta suck when you expect 40"+ of snow every year no matter what

Any lawn and garden types in here? Last year I had a real bad problem with Japanese stilt grass. It started in my neighbor's yard (which is basically just weeds, rocks, and dirt). I tried hand pulling but it was just too much. I've read I need to put down a pre-emergent weed killer, but cant figure out when I should put it down. I also would like to overseed but would have to wait awhile after the weed killer is applied, right?

25 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

Any lawn and garden types in here? Last year I had a real bad problem with Japanese stilt grass. It started in my neighbor's yard (which is basically just weeds, rocks, and dirt). I tried hand pulling but it was just too much. I've read I need to put down a pre-emergent weed killer, but cant figure out when I should put it down. I also would like to overseed but would have to wait awhile after the weed killer is applied, right?

@mattie g is the vegetable garden expert around here...he might have a few ideas for you.  

23 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

good luck it’s like chick weed or vine. kill it with brush killer and it kills everything.  dig it up till and seed. lots of water and care needed.   get them viny weed and add some garlic grass and watch your yard turn to mud.  lol. 

28 minutes ago, nj2va said:

@mattie g is the vegetable garden expert around here...he might have a few ideas for you.  

Not sure if I’m an expert, but I’m a student of vegetable gardening, for sure. Thanks for the kind words, though!

But don’t take my advice on anything to do with lawns. One look at my backyard will tell you why. :lol:

1 hour ago, mdhokie said:

Put down your pre emergents now, and you're right when you say that you shouldn't overseed with a pre emergent application. Pre emergents are not selective and they simply inhibit any seeds from germinating. Fall is the best time for seeding because it gives time for roots to develop. Even if you did seed now, it may end up looking good through June, but you'd lose a lot of the seedlings when the summer heat shows up.

What is the predominant grass that you have, and what is the environment? Sun? Shade? 

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Put down your pre emergents now, and you're right when you say that you shouldn't overseed with a pre emergent application. Pre emergents are not selective and they simply inhibit any seeds from germinating. Fall is the best time for seeding because it gives time for roots to develop. Even if you did seed now, it may end up looking good through June, but you'd lose a lot of the seedlings when the summer heat shows up.

What is the predominant grass that you have, and what is the environment? Sun? Shade? 

Its a tall fescue. A mix of sod and seed was put down in 2016 when we built new. It came in really well and is super thick, which is why I was surprised to see the stilt grass popping up last summer. We have a southern states close by, I was going to ask them what they carried for pre emergent crabgrass control.

Yeah, I know that southern states. I work over in that area and get my onion sets there every year. For crabgrass control you don't need anything special. The Scott's spring blue bag is fine, but it does have the fertilizer in it that you want to be careful with if you are near streams or drains. I use that in the spring for crabgrass control, then hand or spot weed throughout the season. For you, that might depend on the size of your lot. If I do any other fertilizer applications, I use Milorganite. Sometimes in late June, and always in the fall.

Did that stiltgrass get all over your yard or is it just in the shady edges? It may be that the stiltgrass was there before the homes were built and it's just coming back.

32 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, I know that southern states. I work over in that area and get my onion sets there every year. For crabgrass control you don't need anything special. The Scott's spring blue bag is fine, but it does have the fertilizer in it that you want to be careful with if you are near streams or drains. I use that in the spring for crabgrass control, then hand or spot weed throughout the season. For you, that might depend on the size of your lot. If I do any other fertilizer applications, I use Milorganite. Sometimes in late June, and always in the fall.

Did that stiltgrass get all over your yard or is it just in the shady edges? It may be that the stiltgrass was there before the homes were built and it's just coming back.

It was in my neighbors yard. We tore down and rebuilt and brought in at least 20 truckloads of dirt, but it is mostly in the area we did the least amount of grading. Its worse in my yard where it borders their yard, and yea its mostly shady in that area. I started to see it elsewhere and thats when I tried hand pulling. I don't really like chemicals but if thats my only choice I'll do it. I aerated, spread compost and overseeded the first fall we were in. Other than the stiltgrass we've been doing pretty well. I have a 1/2 acre. I'd even pay someone to come hand pull if I knew they'd do it correctly and not F up my lawn, lol.

6 hours ago, mdhokie said:

It was in my neighbors yard. We tore down and rebuilt and brought in at least 20 truckloads of dirt, but it is mostly in the area we did the least amount of grading. Its worse in my yard where it borders their yard, and yea its mostly shady in that area. I started to see it elsewhere and thats when I tried hand pulling. I don't really like chemicals but if thats my only choice I'll do it. I aerated, spread compost and overseeded the first fall we were in. Other than the stiltgrass we've been doing pretty well. I have a 1/2 acre. I'd even pay someone to come hand pull if I knew they'd do it correctly and not F up my lawn, lol.

MDhokie. For this year just try and keep the troubled area clean as often as possible. This is an annual weed and spreads mostly by seed. Keep spraying a broadleaf post emergent (I use spectracide brand because of added sedge control). This fall seed entire area at 12lbs per 1k sqft and in the winter apply a winter broadleaf preemergent (gallery commercial name). I would not look to Southern states for advice. Go to SiteOne Landscape. Always plenty of turf guys there. Hope that helps!! 

8 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Okay, I am soooo  jumping in on this topic to learn all I can. 

Due to a few unexpected hefty bills ( a new roof due to wind damage for example) we put our yearly landscaping contract on hold, except for the turf care.

However, even with last year's turf care, crabgrass ran amok. And due to the early warm spell + black mulch +sun drenched location, the damn weed has now taken over the bulbed flower bed.  I've pulled what I can, but the crabgrass roots have woven through/around a couple of the larger bulb groups.

So, how do I kill off the crabgrass w/o killing the bulbs?  And will Preen work to stop crabgrass yet not effect the bulbs?

I've got my boxing gloves on, and I'm ready to fight. I just don't know how to deliver a knock out punch.  :wacko:

7 minutes ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

Okay, I am soooo  jumping in on this topic to learn all I can. 

Due to a few unexpected hefty bills ( a new roof due to wind damage for example) we put our yearly landscaping contract on hold, except for the turf care.

However, even with last year's turf care, crabgrass ran amok. And due to the early warm spell + black mulch +sun drenched location, the damn weed has now taken over the bulbed flower bed.  I've pulled what I can, but the crabgrass roots have woven through/around a couple of the larger bulb groups.

So, how do I kill off the crabgrass w/o killing the bulbs?  And will Preen work to stop crabgrass yet not effect the bulbs?

I've got my boxing gloves on, and I'm ready to fight. I just don't know how to deliver a knock out punch.  :wacko:

Preen can inhibit bulbs from growing as well as stunt annuals. Wait until bulbs are done in May. Cut all foliage off. Apply preen then. Use Roundup for any weeds already emerged. Roundup only works on actively growing plants and soaks in through the tissue. So if you can’t get all bulbs cut back all of the way then cover with new mulch or even use Dixie cups during the roundup application. Residential preen only lasts 4-6 weeks so reapply and water in.

Sorry guys.  Gonna have to hate on all these yard chemicals being dumped to make green grass.  All these herbicides and ferts do more harm than good.  No one applies it properly and the runoff is affecting the health of our watersheds.  Then you add in how stuff like roundup is killing the honeybee populations and its just a disaster waiting to happen.

No bees=no crops.

Use corn gluten.  Its natural.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived