Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter

George BM

4 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I love seeing the youth movement here :) 

Those first few months of posting are always a bit rough. What matters is that you learn from your inevitable mistakes. As @C.A.P.E. will attest, we're an old and salty bunch. We'll help you get better by carrot or stick :P 

I like seeing youth in here too. Some of you are old. 

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

Tonight is what dreams are made of....8 tourney games on, Caps on, fajitas/margs fiesta at home, and 1-3” of snow in the forecast overnight.  

Go Buffalo!!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/14/2018 at 8:56 AM, nj2va said:

Good point.  I’d also like to see local jurisdictions use less salt/brine on the roads around here — that can’t be good for the watersheds/runoffs/Chesapeake/etc.  I took 270 yesterday heading to Deep Creek and the highway was white with so much brine.  

For some reason Maryland has been spraying herbicide along the state highways every summer recently. Whatever it is, it kills everything, even the bottom 6' of the trees they spray. I've submitted questions through the SHA online site, but they just close my ticket with no answer. Haven't had the motivation to figure out who to call and complain.

The salt/brine thing really frustrates me as well. 

All this talk about March of 1984 -- I was in Columbia SC at the time. The supercell that dropped all the devastating tornadoes went about 20 miles north. It was shockingly huge to someone who'd lived in the Mid-Atlantic most of his young life-- right out of Panhandle Texas central casting. Filled the entire northwestern sky as it passed through Newberry and Winnisboro. I didn't even know what a supercell was at the time, much less an overshooting top, but I'll never forget the sight, even 34 years later. It was the match that lit the fuse to my tornado interest. I have never seen anything like that around here since; hell, it's rare for SC. I've seen pictures and photos of the NC outbreak back in April 2011, and those storms, impressive as they were, didn't appear to have the same size as the March 28 1984 storm I saw. Maybe that's just faulty memory or the videos not being in the proper place to register the size of the supercell -- too close. 

Wish I'd badgered my pops to take a picture of it. I've scoured the Internet but haven't been able to get any kind of photo/video documentation of the 1984 outbreak in real-time, only the aftermath.

About an hour later, another supercell (but this one non-tornadic) came through the city itself. Very powerful storm with very strong winds, hail, and incessant thunder and lightning, but obviously nothing like the one that started in Georgia and moved into eastern NC. Since this one moved due west into the city, and the sun was beginning to set, I didn't get a good luck at the tower-- just a black mass bearing down. I wanted to go across the street a midrange apartment building and climb up to the top to get a better vantage, but that idea was summarily nixed. I remember Columbia media frantically blaring tornado warnings , but the records I've seen confirmed none. Fujita, I think, mapped the alpha supercell afterwards. Dropped 15 or 20 tornadoes or so (6 or 7 what were F4s at the time), killed about 60, injured hundreds. 2.5 miles wide tornadoes around the SC/NC border. Fortunately it didn't hit any communities of substantial size, other than Greenville NC. Probably the most impressive tornadic event along the Eastern Seaboard since 1953. Then a year later, another unusual outbreak in an area not known for them: OH/PA/Ontario/NYS state. That was a line of supercells, instead of just one, and even more impressive than the Carolina outbreak.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived