Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WPC seems to be conservatively honking.  I think we get a slow trend back n and w.  It is often the case this season at least that when there are multiple runs of multiple models showing a big storm 7-8 days out which then kinda retreats....that the big solutions come back as we get closer, as long as the overall set-up supports it.  I bet that will happen.  Although I think the further s and e areas are favored.

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

WPC seems to be conservatively honking.  I think we get a slow trend back n and w.  It is often the case this season at least that when there are multiple runs of multiple models showing a big storm 7-8 days out which then kinda retreats....that the big solutions come back as we get closer, as long as the overall set-up supports it.  I bet that will happen.  Although I think the further s and e areas are favored.

The persistence of Atlantic ridging has helped us in that regard this season.

1 hour ago, Bostonseminole said:

Not feeling this one

There’s no way that is coming even to my neck of the woods if the 500 panel on the 84 hour NAM is right.  There are basically two ULLs.  One by SE Canada and the other in western Ontario that won’t allow that system to come close.  I said yesterday this is either a total miss where even DCA gets missed or it comes way north 

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

There’s no way that is coming even to my neck of the woods if the 500 panel on the 84 hour NAM is right.  There are basically two ULLs.  One by SE Canada and the other in western Ontario that won’t allow that system to come close.  I said yesterday this is either a total miss where even DCA gets missed or it comes way north 

i was just going to ask someone to extrapolate the 12Z NAM, thanks.

1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

i was just going to ask someone to extrapolate the 12Z NAM, thanks.

ERN LI and SE Mass, probably the Cape and Islands would have a shot in that setup as inevitably even if the H5 setup is right at 84 there is probably some tendency to overdo the ULL off Canada.  So SOME NW trend probably happens there but that’s a ton of work to do to get NYC/BDL/ORH/BOS in on anything 

6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

ERN LI and SE Mass, probably the Cape and Islands would have a shot in that setup as inevitably even if the H5 setup is right at 84 there is probably some tendency to overdo the ULL off Canada.  So SOME NW trend probably happens there but that’s a ton of work to do to get NYC/BDL/ORH/BOS in on anything 

Nothing is impossible with the models this winter

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Most of these misses still hit DE Maine to almost back to here with the tug back to the NW as reaches this latitude, So it won't take much.

There does seem to be a hook back to the west.  Appears as though there is a piece of energy diving out of Ontario that attempts to phase in with the main s/w that causes this.  As it stands right now, I do not see any cutters with the UL pattern.

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

There does seem to be a hook back to the west.  Appears as though there is a piece of energy diving out of Ontario that attempts to phase in with the main s/w that causes this.  As it stands right now, I do not see any cutters with the UL pattern.

Need to keep an eye on that to see if that can get that to drop further south and phase in sooner, The GFS run a day or so ago that brought this up the coast captured the SLP and stalled it up over DE Maine.

Archived