Newest Member
    Toothache
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

that system next week is falling victim in models that are insisting on modulating the +PNA's influence rather a-typically for how it more typically does (climate) downs stream, mid latitudes of N/A.

the Euro really hits at an early April Omega construct with that ridge in the heartland. If you go back some two days ( I guess...) that was not the way the total synoptic evolution was being modeled. 

granted, it was a D9 then...so, you get what you pay for... Still, with the teleconnectors in support of more western ridging - at least transiently - believe it or not, there was more support for that heartland ridge to be back closer to the Rockies than there is now for it's present modeled location - and it's not just the Euro. The GFS is doing this too.  Interesting.

it is possible that spring is just wrapping it's fingers around the throat of winter... much to the chagrin of us winter enthusiasts.  that omega look with the deep heights near off each coasts with the ridge in the middle ...that's a pretty typical spring rest state there.  Which, could also emerge when say ...the models "lose" a signal?  I wouldn't hang up on this next one yet... but, it all does intimate inevitability. 

Got to say though... regardless of all... the GEFs teleconnectors tapping the shoulder of seasonal termination for the ides.  Whatever we get over the next 10 days...that might be it..  The return of -PNA with +EPO and a neutralized NAO with rising AO ... blah blah blah ... and, lest we forget, that hot orb in the sky...  I don't have any idea what the EPS numbers are - 

Weeklies show winter hanging out until April

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Weeklies show winter hanging out until April

Hmm... "show winter"  ... not to be disrespectful but, is that your opinion, or are you comparing that to some metric?

Thing is, the Weeklies... I'm not a fan.  Mainly because over the years I have been exposed to lots of memes/diatribes in weather-related social media ...tweets, the blogosphere (though blogging is becoming passe actually ) on the subject matter and have a running sort of average/perception on how successful they are, and they seem pretty clearly to be rather coin flipping random beyond ... maybe D15 or so... The limited predictive skill they have at that range really gets pretty badly correlated there after.   But, since the weeklies are a product of some sort of ensemble regression analysis, perhaps that means the teleconnectors better than the GEFs? 

My statement was purely GEFs backed... heh.  If the EPS has a some other -EPO and -NAO or whatever, that should be considered. 

10 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Hmm... "show winter"  ... not to be disrespectful but, is that your opinion, or are you comparing that to some metric?

Thing is, the Weeklies... I'm not a fan.  Mainly because over the years I have been exposed to lots of memes/diatribes in weather-related social media ...tweets, the blogosphere (though blogging is becoming passe actually ) on the subject matter and have a running sort of average/perception on how successful they are, and they seem pretty clearly to be rather coin flipping random beyond ... maybe D15 or so... The limited predictive skill they have at that range really gets pretty badly correlated there after.   But, since the weeklies are a product of some sort of ensemble regression analysis, perhaps that means the teleconnectors better than the GEFs? 

My statement was purely GEFs backed... heh.  If the EPS has a some other -EPO and -NAO or whatever, that should be considered. 

Hey Tip, was wondering your thoughts on how things evolve in April. I'd like to throw out there that I'm not looking for you to commit to anything, nor will I crucify you if things end up evolving differently. I'm merely curious on your thoughts. I've been thinking about going for training for work in April. It's a week long stint outdoors in CT. 

4 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Hey Tip, was wondering your thoughts on how things evolve in April. I'd like to throw out there that I'm not looking for you to commit to anything, nor will I crucify you if things end up evolving differently. I'm merely curious on your thoughts. I've been thinking about going for training for work in April. It's a week long stint outdoors in CT. 

heh heh heh....  yeeeah.   April ... the bane of my existence.  I predict that it will be a pain in the ass and the weather will be gruelingly unpredictable because the atmosphere engineers backdoor fronts and air masses that are perfectly wrong for what people want ... as a petty scheme against those that actually appreciate summer and would rather the seasonal migration have on with it...  

Is that the type of weather for your out-doorsy aspirations ?  

:)     ...seriously?   ...La Nina springs, to which this is weakly associated, tend to be on the early side.  I almost suspect that the rules of "when" spring starts as they are boundaries in time set forth by godly man, and the reality of when spring starts as instructed by the atmosphere its self during a given season, have already fallen out of sync for this year. 

And yes, that includes this snow storm tonight. 

I mean ... it snows in spring and is built into our climatology - I see this as a spring blue bomb. Look at the Euro's day-10.  That day may not and probably will not verify exactly like that, but just the fact that the model spit out that synoptic appeal is spring incarnate!   That's after whatever bomb next week.

Point being, taking this cinema and advancing it by a month, would suggest a warmer than normal April.  But, this is an essayists take on the 'tempo' and theme. Themes can change. I've seen snow blowing off a flat roof on April 11th at 1pm in the early afternoon before...  just remember that.  However, it's been long suggested that after next week .. the hemispheric teleconnectors that while we may not be completely done writing the novel for this winter, we are certainly writing the closing acknowledgements.

Sorry, I can't get any more specific than that...  due to our particular idiosyncratic climate in spring, we can get cold months in a hemispheric hot pattern simply because of the Labrador Current. Or, we can get an April like in 2001, when it was 90 + on several occasions ..and even the backdoors were only cooling things back to 70 in town.  It seems the one time of year physics flies out the door and angels and demons play tennis with our sensible weather. 

13 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Put away the banana hammocks and wife beaters Tip spring ain't coming anytime soon

It's already here. My pack is patches of glacier and the ground is almost thawed out.Any new snow will be primed to go with March sun and 40s. We're well ahead of the game up here.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

12z GFS is snow into SNE this run, Northern stream s/w really doing its work this run as it tries to phase/capture the southern stream s/w.

The latest trends for the current storm have set the longwave trough at a better orientation too.

OH that next system, 12-14th is still very much in play.  

The general mass-field layout still wants amplitude over the eastern U.S. in that time frame... how that comes to pass will of course dictated sensible/impact scenarios. I will say that it may be a better thing for winter storm enthusiasts at this sort of time range and having to deal with probabilities that this thing is not perfectly phased for 7 to 8 days out. 

The ICON model ...albeit probably less than preferred as a guidance type at this point ... still can be used to illustrate issues.. There is all kinds of wave interference as the model is assessing at this time, and from what I can tell ...each model is doing some similar discordant wave handling.  That may or may not come into focus, but so long as the mass-field argument is in place, it's worth it to watch. 

Interestingly.. .one thing I am noticing is that storm may have more actual cold air to work with than even this one tonight...  despite being closer to the Ides of the month. 

Archived