Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Well yeah, I'm looking at it for the mountains.

IMO the GFS is way too elevational dependent with the QPF spread after its grid changed.  It'll always highlights heavier precipitation where it thinks the terrain is, snow map aside.  Just look at it for VT/NH and its just a rolling series of maxes and mins from mountains to valleys.

Def. agree....absurd elevaion gradient all the time.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I’ve been wanting a GOM bomb since I moved here; never experienced one. I bring this up also bc I think this one has a really good shot. First one worth getting excited about in this regard...

They happen from time to time...  I recall a couple huge tweener systems that backed 20+"  into down east Maine.  They were supposed to be big noreasters down this way, too, but the models all coalesced around it happening over western NS at the last minute.  Usually we think of "smoking cirrus" as being systems suppressed south, but we had cirrus backing down from the N with bitter cold air and a stray flurry or two while CAR has bona fide blizzard. One or two them got as far S as PWM (Portsmouth) if I recall...

39 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I like this one! Can I get my first H500 capture and phase in the western Gulf of Maine? That would def make my season....

Yes it would as well as many others, Not quite sure what some on here are even talking about or even looking at, First of all, Maine is still part of the US, And the weds system tracks right  thru the GOM in the bay of fundy which is a classic heavy snow track for most of SNE/CNE and NNE, I don't see where this went ENE missing most of NNE.

13 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I’ve been wanting a GOM bomb since I moved here; never experienced one. I bring this up also bc I think this one has a really good shot. First one worth getting excited about in this regard...

This one at early stages looks to have a fairly wide reach in circulation, I could go for a slow crawler into Maine with days of NW cyclonic flow upslope into NNE regions that like such things.  

I think this one has a chance to become more tucked in too, which is an odd thought for me as I run pessimistic in coastal storms lol.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yes it would as well as many others, Not quite sure what some on here are even talking about or even looking at, First of all, Maine is still part of the US, And the weds system tracks right  thru the GOM in the bay of fundy which is a classic heavy snow track for most of SNE/CNE and NNE, I don't see where this went ENE missing most of NNE.

Yeah, Euro snows here from Wednesday night until early Saturday morning.  

Thats a days and days of snow storm.

Pros can correct me if I am wrong, but EPS looks good as well with overall track this afternoon, looking at images of 96 and 120, albeit not as strong as some of the other models, regarding depiction of low pressure. Tracks northeast from the Delmarva to east of the Cape.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Dec. agree....absurd elevaion gradient all the time.

Just wanted to comment on this too.  The GFS makes me nuts with the qpf.  Always much higher just to my west with the north to south 2000 foot ridgeline and the 3100 foot Mt Cardigan.  Then the Whites to my NE always seem to put me in a sink hole as it did yesterday.  I understand shadowing on a NE wind but its SO overdone.  Have to squint my eyes and smooth it out to take a guess as to what it really means for my backyard.   Crazy gradients.  Like the NAM much better in this regard. 

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

ive been waiting for inside BM track since Oct 11, my last 16+ . I get it Mar 17 but no blocking and the goods lifted nw. Yesterday, perfect evolution and get blocking, but miss by +1-2C. 7 years is a long time for a SNE weenie nowadays esp when the misses havebeen so close.Eventually, it will come though.....same for you.

Ha, BTV pushed all the chips into the middle of the table.

Wednesday until Saturday morning they have POPS of 60% or higher every period.

Wednesday
Snow likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Southeast wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Wednesday Night
Snow. Low around 24. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Thursday
Snow. High near 28. Northwest wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Thursday Night
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 22. West wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday
Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. West wind 10 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday Night
Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. West wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Euro EPS individuals are certainly interesting... there are a fair amount of members that clobber upstate NY again with less in New England.  Definitely more of those than whiffs on the 12z run... with the spread more west than east.

Enough of them with jacks from the Catskills to Adirondacks to really affect the mean with heavy snows way west of where you would think given the operational runs.

You knew there is a thread started already?

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, BTV pushed all the chips into the middle of the table.

Wednesday until Saturday morning they have POPS of 60% or higher every period.

Wednesday
Snow likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Southeast wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Wednesday Night
Snow. Low around 24. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Thursday
Snow. High near 28. Northwest wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Thursday Night
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 22. West wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday
Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. West wind 10 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday Night
Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. West wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Does stowe send the forecasters lift pases

Archived