• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

I'd prob feel pretty safe tossing the GFS....it's a pretty bad outlier.

That doesn't mean we give it no weight though...I could def see this coming toward it, but have a hard time buying that it will score the majority of the marbles on a 3 day forecast against the foreign global guidance. I could see the classic 30/70 compromise happening.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Thank for for the info! 

Did either of you find something odd with the 2M temp outputs? Looked like the 2M temps absolutely crash region wide from 6z to 12z to below freezing but then shoot back up into the 30's by 18z...and it was a substantial area this happens...basically from SE Canada down into CT. I thought maybe we had a period of like northerly winds then went easterly or something but that wasn't the case at all. 

Dynamic cooling

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

When this ends up a major winter storm for many of us.. these last 2-3 days of weenies will be fun to revisit 

I honestly don't have a clue what's going to happen.  I'd be leaning heavily on antecedent conditions and climo for the approximate track around the South Coast.  Favor inland/hilly areas to flip to some snow with mostly rain down in the CP.

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Thank for for the info! 

Did either of you find something odd with the 2M temp outputs? Looked like the 2M temps absolutely crash region wide from 6z to 12z to below freezing but then shoot back up into the 30's by 18z...and it was a substantial area this happens...basically from SE Canada down into CT. I thought maybe we had a period of like northerly winds then went easterly or something but that wasn't the case at all. 

The 2m temps jump because of the diurnal code in the model and it becomes stronger late in the winter...you sometimes have to temper it.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That doesn't mean we give it no weight though...I could def see this coming toward it, but have a hard time buying that it will score the majority of the marbles on a 3 day forecast against the foreign global guidance. I could see the classic 30/70 compromise happening.

The GFS is probably the upper bound of plausibility. The Euro op on the other hand is an outlier in its ensemble. So a blend is probably a safe place to be right now.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Boy that's tough from Dr. No.

I definitely don't love how it seems to be generating a big area of PV well S and E (over the Gulf Stream ;)) which then becomes the dominant surface low. Now convection can certainly generate PV, but usually strong upper level dynamics can remain dominant.

The jump in the upper air center from 72 to 78 hours looks suspicious. That is where I'd start wondering if it curls up more toward E of LI or ACK instead of going like straight east.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 2m temps jump because of the diurnal code in the model and it becomes stronger late in the winter...you sometimes have to temper it.

Exactly what I thought of.  Euro late bomb sucks for the excitement crowd. Wonder if it is the outlier when EPS comes out. UKmet 6 hr precip maps look a lot like the euro only displaced further NE into SNE so you end up with basically an INVT snow like the Euro has for NYC NJ

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd flip that 30/70. Euro/GFS.

I don't like how earlier runs of the Euro look so similar to today's GFS runs...I think it gives the GFS a lot more weight than it otherwise would in this situation. And then the euro bias....

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Dynamic cooling

I was looking at this aspect over the past few days but I wasn't sure how much of a role that played down towards the surface. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is something I'll keep in mind going forward...I've been trying to really look more into things like this within the models. 

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

I'd flip that 30/70. Euro/GFS.

I don't like how earlier runs of the Euro look so similar to today's GFS runs...

Using a crude measurement of SLP center...a 50/50 compromise would be a little bit inside the benchmark at 72 hours. So we'll see where we settle 12z Friday.

1 minute ago, Cyclone-68 said:

FWIW even the local forecast discussion says it’ll be another 24 hrs before anyone has a handle on future track/intensity 

Given that we're not really talking a sampling issue, but a phasing issue, it could be pretty late in the game for when a solution settles in.

I've been wondering too if the system occludes way too early and that begins to shut off moisture inflow into the storm. There are also some hints that we could get drier air working into the area beginning Friday morning as there is a pocket of really dry air off to the NE (looking at 700mb RH). This is so complex

Euro 144-168-192 Low is stalled/wandering. I wonder if this could be a situation where Low sits on the coast until 2nd event comes around 216 and they also merge and bomb? probably like 10% but an interesting thought... there is a lot of potential energy on the coast right now, moisture, sun etc. I also think models aren't deepening it enough

Archived