Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Mid-level temperatures also rise a bit though.  It's not like there's a lot of cold air up here.  Heck here in N.VT we will likely be a little warmer than places getting crushed by precip.  There's really no cold air to "drain down" on a north wind.

Like BDL has a lower H85 temperature at 5am tomorrow than they do at 10am as that mid-level warmth rotates inland from the east for a time.  Similar to what ORH/Will was talking about if the ORH Hills start as snow then go to rain before going back to snow.

I bet we'll see some excited posts tomorrow morning if its snowing in some nearby hill locations like Litchfield County and northern ORH Hills as people think its closer than it should be, but there is a period of mid-level warmth that causes temps to rise into the middle of the day.

There is certainly no cold air in place but for me it's very difficult to see any sort of temperature rise...sfc and aloft as the day progresses. I am (and perhaps too much) really thinking dynamic cooling really takes over and when we have intense lift over the region places will get snow...even if they're 34-35F at the sfc...now when intensity lessens they could flip to rain. 

But aloft...I don't see much warming during the day either b/c eventually this thing occludes and that cuts off the warmer air being wrapped into the system and once the occlusion happens warm air inflow is done...and by this point temps aloft will likely be marginal but if we still have great lift I would have to think snow.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I’d guess that idea doesn’t happen. My guess is if it’s snow in morning in x location.. they stay snow for duration under banding 

I'm not sure.  It's not uncommon in these strong U-wind anomaly systems to have mid-level warmth advected in from the Atlantic.

Even up here we go from -4C tonight at H85 to 0C or even +1C around midday tomorrow with the deep layer easterly flow. 

Good ol' memories of February 2010...luckily not much precip up here as I'd be pissed if it was dumping in the Catskills and raining up here, lol.

There's a push of warmer air in there.  Different story if it was turning to a more northerly flow then I'd agree, but its like deep layer ESE aloft.  I think we see the snow retreat a bit west into the midday hours before it all starts to crash later in the day as the flow goes more NE.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

There is certainly no cold air in place but for me it's very difficult to see any sort of temperature rise...sfc and aloft as the day progresses. I am (and perhaps too much) really thinking dynamic cooling really takes over and when we have intense lift over the region places will get snow...even if they're 34-35F at the sfc...now when intensity lessens they could flip to rain. 

But aloft...I don't see much warming during the day either b/c eventually this thing occludes and that cuts off the warmer air being wrapped into the system and once the occlusion happens warm air inflow is done...and by this point temps aloft will likely be marginal but if we still have great lift I would have to think snow.

Good point, but even loop the EURO 850mb temps and you can see a mix of both ideas.  H85 temps warm from 6-12z but then it occludes and holds steady from 12-18z before falling quickly after that.

Loop a bunch of model 850mb temps and you'll see that sort of evolution.  It's not a lot of warmth but an extra 1-2C at 850mb will make a huge difference.  Very interesting forecast for sure!

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha true... not set in stone they do well in this one either out there.  Hudson Valley is a big wildcard, like most of SNE.

I would still rather be there for this with the primary moving thru and being away from the water.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Good point, but even loop the EURO 850mb temps and you can see a mix of both ideas.  H85 temps warm from 6-12z but then it occludes and holds steady from 12-18z before falling quickly after that.

Loop a bunch of model 850mb temps and you'll see that sort of evolution.  It's not a lot of warmth but an extra 1-2C at 850mb will make a huge difference.  Very interesting forecast for sure!

Totally agreed...that is why I think we could see rain to snow to rain type deal in places. The degree of upward vertical motion which seems to coincide when profiles are marginal enough for snow indicate snow when things are going wild. This could be really problematic b/c it would be extremely wet but accumulating very quickly. For some stupid reason Oct 2011 keeps coming in my mind with this 

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

DAMN.... Winds on Outer Cape.

5a98b1331c605_NAM10mwindsCapture.JPG.a0bf9765a08c1c3537556b953a45a249.JPG

James will be the tail on Winnie the Pooh's kite.  

I considered going to the family house in Falmouth for this but Buzzards Bay won't be very exciting so I would end up having to drive 30 minutes to at least South Cape Beach in Mashpee to take it in.  

Archived