Newest Member
    joxey
Super Bowl Slop Storm

Ji

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

More likely that I'll just be dry, but you should never under-estimate the nutz-kicking potential of this place.

Nope. I would bet A LOT that we see at least an inch tomorrow. This is the type of event where we can do OK on the front end. We just need to see the precip  come in as early as possible.

3 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

I want to see precip leave as early as possible after the crust.

Thats kind of why we have an advantage out here in these type of events. We dry slot after the initial thump most of the time. The 0Z NAM does have us getting rain out here. But I will believe that when I see it. That would be abnormal. Although with this winter who the hell knows?

7 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Any chance the hrrr resolution is too fine for cad events? (ie. mesoscale over microscale)

The HRRR tends to erode these shallow inversions too quickly;  the problem may be that it doesn't have enough vertical resolution in the boundary layer.

My area always seems so wet compared to many other locations. I asked a pro met once about this. I am so serious when I say I do not need any more rain. We are on a septic system here and septics do not like a wet, saturated ground! Here is what he says is the reasoning for so much moisture for my area!

it has everything to do with the proximity of the mountain chain and where in NC and VA the downslope ends and the oppositie begins, which is recovergence. I've done countless studies on this phenomonon at my site and on FB over the years going way, way back. Its one of my pet peaves.

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Cant wait for this event to get underway. Currently 30/27. Hopefully I can manage a few sleet pellets before yet another soaking rain. At least it looks like the I-95 corridor, where its been so dry, should get a decent soaker too.

Pretty much in 'Chips fall as they may' mode. Looking over things it doesn't look too promising for the cities south and east. Except for some brief sleet pellets and maybe a mangled flake think chances of anything noteworthy will be confined to up around the PA line and north as well as the higher terrain to the west. And even here in Hanover, just north of the PA line, my hopes of anything are somewhat diminished as I see a brisk southerly wind and temps already sitting at 31.5 degrees. Dew points are only going to help me so much.

eta: Don't get me wrong, I am hoping this is a positive bust but at this point I am just not feeling it.

10 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Pretty much in 'Chips fall as they may' mode. Looking over things it doesn't look too promising for the cities south and east. Except for some brief sleet pellets and maybe a mangled flake think chances of anything noteworthy will be confined to up around the PA line and north as well as the higher terrain to the west. And even here in Hanover, just north of the PA line, my hopes of anything are somewhat diminished as I see a brisk southerly wind and temps already sitting at 31.5 degrees. Dew points are only going to help me so much.

eta: Don't get me wrong, I am hoping this is a positive bust but at this point I am just not feeling it.

I would have thought you would be a bit colder than that. Temp here oddly dropped a degree, down to 29, but dp is 27. You will likely drop a couple degrees at the surface at onset. Ultimately its all about the warming aloft. Probably not much in the way of snow there, but should see a decent period of sleet/zr before a flip I would think.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I would have thought you would be a bit colder than that. Temp here oddly dropped a degree, down to 29, but dp is 27. You will likely drop a couple degrees at the surface at onset. Ultimately its all about the warming aloft. Probably not much in the way of snow there, but should see a decent period of sleet/zr before a flip I would think.

Looking at somewhat current soundings (actually 1 hour ahead) from the point and click on the HRRR already see a warm nose intruding from 925 down to 950 with temps at 32. Dews are good at this point which will help to bring that down quite a bit. Interestingly enough they have the surface sitting at 28 and yet I am now sitting at 32. 

At this point I am hoping for at least a mulch covering before we flip over to sleet and then rain. Anything more will be a bonus.

Archived