Super Bowl Slop Storm

Ji

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Ji said:

lets hope this is snow

image.thumb.png.8bbefe531b65b7b23407114893279312.png

850s would suggest snow.  but I am sure there is a warm layer in there and not quite adept at interpreting the soundings.  If it is snow its razor close maybe west of the fall line.  now the fact that it appears further SE is at least a step in the right direction IMHO.

EDIT:  2m temps look ok as well from what I observed.  we are dealing with a rotting airmass so it needs to be quick and dirty and then done. 

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

850s would suggest snow.  but I am sure there is a warm layer in there and not quite adept at interpreting the soundings.  If it is snow its razor close maybe west of the fall line.  now the fact that it appears further SE is at least a step in the right direction IMHO.

EDIT:  2m temps look ok as well from what I observed.  we are dealing with a rotting airmass so it needs to be quick and dirty and then done. 

Just saw the 12z step back in the right direction SE.  Pleasant suprise, but still some work to do.  Hoping it works out for us.

5 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Just saw the 12z step back in the right direction SE.  Pleasant suprise, but still some work to do.  Hoping it works out for us.

I think it will work out for your location.  looks dicey SE of there.  but still the bleeding stopped for the next 30 minutes or so.  and its the 12k NAM so I am not getting too excited other than it wasn't a disaster.  That's my new benchmark...not expecting a great outcome but avoiding a complete disaster. 

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

I think it will work out for your location.  looks dicey SE of there.  but still the bleeding stopped for the next 30 minutes or so.  and its the 12k NAM so I am not getting too excited other than it wasn't a disaster.  That's my new benchmark...not expecting a great outcome but avoiding a complete disaster. 

I'm not feelin fuzzy yet, but to your point, I may see a little something. 

I dare say we still have time for a couple subltle moves to bring some of us out of hiding....

26 minutes ago, yoda said:

Probably sleet... maybe could sneak in snow if there were rates lol

Yea, that sounding is right on the bubble. Above freezing layer is fairly shallow and looks like +1-2 tops. Big dendrites would survive the fall. Little ones would turn into something other than flakes. lol

NAM bufkit indicates ZR/IP for areas west 95 and ZR for the cities and immediate burbs during this time frame. Places NW of the fall line have the ZR/IP signal with flakes mixing in out toward JYO as well during Sunday morning. HGR actually has all snow for a time before flipping to ZR/IP mix. Could be a pretty nasty day out by 81 to start if the NAM is right. 

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

NAM bufkit indicates ZR/IP for areas west 95 and ZR for the cities and immediate burbs during this time frame. Places NW of the fall line have the ZR/IP signal with flakes mixing in out toward JYO as well during Sunday morning. HGR actually has all snow for a time before flipping to ZR/IP mix. Could be a pretty nasty day out by 81 to start if the NAM is right. 

Yea, it's messy. lol. Good thing I'm hugging the ICON until something better comes along.

12z GFS trending ever so slightly colder in the mids. Hopefully that translates to a smaller disaster. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Yea, that sounding is right on the bubble. Above freezing layer is fairly shallow and looks like +1-2 tops. Big dendrites would survive the fall. Little ones would turn into something other than flakes. lol

Would kill for a high to the north this setup. It's almost something more interesting if the cold air was a bit more pronounced to start, or if we had a high in place. Bufkit was nasty Sunday morning for areas on a line from Leesburg/Clarksburg/Westminster to the NW. 81 might be interesting. I could see places rotting near 32/33 during most of any precip. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Shocking- GFS is losing the dominant northern low idea. lol

It’s basically doing what every other storm has done which is trend somewhat flatter.  It makes you feel the Wednesday storm will almost certainly do the same.  The problem is that was such an epic cut job on the overnight runs it has a ways to go to get better 

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

Isn't that what you suggested last night? 

I wasn't buying the big amped NW track. It was on its own and the seasonal trend has been to flattern through the mid range. 12z is doing just that. There is a northern low. I'm not suggesting it's going away. I'm just saying that I don't believe the northern and southern pieces are going to consolidate into one big NW tracking gully washer. The 2 features will likely be less amped and come in flatter. How that works for us is dicey. Especially my yard. Western folks are no doubt the better area on this one. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I wasn't buying the big amped NW track. It was on its own and the seasonal trans has been to flattern through the mid range. 12z is doing just that. There is a northern low. I'm not suggesting it's going away. I'm just saying that I don't believe the northern and southern pieces are going to consolidate into one big NW tracking gully washer. The 2 features will likely be less amped and come in flatter. How that works for us is dicey. Especially my yard. Western folks are no doubt the better area on this one. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but that secondary low off our coast does make a big difference in how long we stay snow, right? 

20 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Shocking- GFS is losing the dominant northern low idea. lol

What am I missing. It still has a low going north of us or at 69 is my brain now mush.   Still looks like southerly flow between the Altantic high and the Ohio and then PA low.  Maybe not dominant just for snow, crushing. 

1 minute ago, Superstorm said:

The other problem is Great Lakes low is crapping up the temp profiles.

The SW winds on the NAM above the low level inversion are running into the 60's, so the WAA around the layer between 925-800mb is pretty prolific, so we'll undoubtedly see a shift to liquid precip type during the day on Sunday. Beneath the cap, winds are much lighter out of the south and south-southwest, so the surface takes its time rising through the day, which is why I think areas out near 81 might struggle to get much above freezing with this one, leading to a more prolonged frozen precip event, albeit, likely in the form of ZR/IP after the initial start from snow. I will try to post some bufkit soundings from both NAM and GFS after I'm done forecasting at my job. 

10 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

What am I missing. It still has a low going north of us or at 69 is my brain now mush.   Still looks like southeasterly flow between the Altantic high and the Ohio and then PA low.  Maybe not dominant just for snow, crushing. 

I probably said it wrong. The GFS showed a consolidated system tracking west yesterday instead of 2 weaker but distinct waves (one south and 1 north). That's what I referring to. 

I'm not suggesting there is any way to stay all snow. The airmass in place is rotting and getting attacked. That part hasn't changed at all. The only thing that can keep that intact for a longer period of time is to back off on the strength of the northern piece. It's ugly. I'm not putting lipstick on anything. I just didn't buy the gullywasher west tracks yesterday. 

24 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont have the soundings. But we never lose the 540 line out here. Looks like a snow to ZR then dryslot type of deal out this way. I would be fine with that in this horrid winter in all honesty.

COD Met has soundings available 

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/

can switch between Severe and Winter just hover your area, left click to produce sounding, right click to specify type. 

7 minutes ago, cae said:

GFS got a little colder (from 06z), GGEM a little warmer.  It looks like they're converging towards one of those I95-cutoff mappy-psu-jackpot events.  ICON shows something similar.

GFS is pretty ugly for my backyard, as of right now. By 12z I'm sitting at 32 at the surface, 33-34 at 850. 

Archived