Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Bowl Slop Storm

Ji

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’d really like something to come around to the RGEM’s idea of having some light precip come through earlier on Sunday. Probably the only way to see snow in the Beltway.

3k NAM says you'll see it on radar.  Unless you live near the PA border, the blob over MD and northern VA is all virga.

FXwLINc.png

High-res RGEM is out on TT.  As expected, it's a warmer than the RGEM.  Not by much though.  It shifts the shutout line in MD west to I95.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the 18z GFS has DC at 34/10 at 12z Sunday and then 40/33 by 18.     Yeah, it shows rain and a south wind, but there is no way we go up to near 40 right after it starts precipitating into that dry airmass.       The 00z NAM nest goes in the opposite direction;   it's slower with the precip, and most of DC metro warms above freezing Sunday morning but then cools back down to freezing or just below (especially the north and west side of town) as the precip falls into the dry air.       I'm not going to say that the ZR will be as widespread as the NAM nest indicates, and it would be a really marginal event if it's on the right track, but I'll also insist that the GFS warm up is way too aggressive if the dry air and morning precip arrival are correct.

9 minutes ago, high risk said:

So, the 18z GFS has DC at 34/10 at 12z Sunday and then 40/33 by 18.     Yeah, it shows rain and a south wind, but there is no way we go up to near 40 right after it starts precipitating into that dry airmass.       The 00z NAM nest goes in the opposite direction;   it's slower with the precip, and most of DC metro warms above freezing Sunday morning but then cools back down to freezing or just below (especially the north and west side of town) as the precip falls into the dry air.       I'm not going to say that the ZR will be as widespread as the NAM nest indicates, and it would be a really marginal event if it's on the right track, but I'll also insist that the GFS warm up is way too aggressive if the dry air and morning precip arrival are correct.

Nam3k is really aggressive with wintry mix

Weenie thought: some of the hi-res models barely take people above freezing tomorrow, if at all. Ground should be cold. Obviously the cold duration isn't as impressive as the 35 degree ice storm we had last time, but could pull off something similar, especially if there is a layer of sleet/snow on the ground already?

17 minutes ago, high risk said:

The 34/10 would probably drop to 29/29 before moving up so gotta be frozen something somewhere 

I don' know if I have ever seen this much model chaos so close to an event. The setup is similar on all of the models. But the temps have them all screwed up. I am just going to go with my climo out here. I am expecting a small thump, maybe 1-3, then some ice to drizzle. That is what usually happens when we have this cold of air in place with these type of events. And it is cold. I got down to 12 last night and am at 16 right now.

Archived