Newest Member
    joxey
January 29-30th Rain/Flurries coastal and IVT

WxUSAF

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

One thing that seems pretty common to me is that vorts are often modeled stronger and further south than they end up being as you close in on an event

This one has been weird. It started up in NY/PA/NJ and even SNE then models shifted best lift across lower PA and close to the mason dixon, but have since trended back to central/northern PA the last 24-48 hours. A few runs actually had it tracking S of us to near RIC but those seem like large outliers so we didn't talk much about them.

Pretty typical with these little waves. Very hard to pinpoint and it gives the impression that the shifts are large because the shield is so small. In reality the moving around has all taken place inside of 150 miles of latitude if you discount the fleeting southern solutions. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This one has been weird. It started up in NY/PA/NJ and even SNE then models shifted best lift across lower PA and close to the mason dixon, but have since trended back to central/northern PA the last 24-48 hours. A few runs actually had it tracking S of us to near RIC but those seem like large outliers so we didn't talk much about them.

Pretty typical with these little waves. Very hard to pinpoint and it gives the impression that the shifts are large because the shield is so small. In reality the moving around has all taken place inside of 150 miles of latitude if you discount the fleeting southern solutions. 

I just went back and looked at the difference between 12z run yesterday that was really solid that you and I discussed a bit yesterday and today's 12z and that's the biggest takeaway. It's about that 100 mile shift north with best mid and upper level diffluence, so we are on the outside looking in outside the arctic boundary. Now, it's possible we see it settle a bit further south to give the sub-forum more love, but I think the chances of greater than 1.5" will be for our northern brethren only (North of I-70) with most likely totals around coating to 1" for everyone. Dang shame. I really liked the look. Been dealing with wisdom teeth issues, which are almost better now, so was hoping for some cheering up in the snow department. Might have to wake up at 4am to see the initial line if it develops. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived