Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 29-30th Rain/Flurries coastal and IVT

WxUSAF

Just now, Cobalt said:

Seems like it would be that way. On the GFS during the precip, 850s say snow, temps at the ground are upper 30s/low 40s. 

Yea, it's a shame too. The upper level feature that trails is acting like a an offensive tackle keeping the cold air tucked behind it. This type of setup is actually close to a big event. Obviously it's not going to happen but it's close to the types of events that phase and blow up. Just a little out of sync. We've seen a lot of close but out of sync this year. Nina's are cruel like that. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, it's a shame too. The upper level feature that trails is acting like a an offensive tackle keeping the cold air tucked behind it. This type of setup is actually close to a big event. Obviously it's not going to happen but it's close to the types of events that phase and blow up. Just a little out of sync. We've seen a lot of close but out of sync this year. Nina's are cruel like that. 

Question is, if it did fall as the GFS depicted, would it reach the ground as frozen precip, or would it all come down to the rate of precip?

2 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Interesting. Would think eastern shore changeover is because of rates and north and west changeover is from enough cold air mixing down....

hrdps_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_31.png

I'd love to buy what its selling but I can't help but feel like I remember the RGEM always overdoing cold. Wonder if the high-res keeps that bias or not. 

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

Seems like it would be that way. On the GFS during the precip, 850s say snow, temps at the ground are upper 30s/low 40s. 

Upper levels are cold enough, so it would take some moderate to heavy precip to dynamically cool the warmer lower levels. If you look at the 12k NAM it has temps about 36 with rain flipping to snow over eastern MD and DE around 21z and then falling to 34 over the next hour. If it does occur, it probably would not accumulate much unless it came down heavily due to the marginal temps (and soggy ground...defo no drought here).

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

And GFS hinted at it but mostly for eastern DE into NJ.

Something to watch for on the 0z runs.

HRDPS actually changes everyone over around the cities in the next 2 panels. 

HRRR and RAP time for me. Let’s see if we can get something out of this. All I want is to see flakes from the coastal. 

20 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Question is, if it did fall as the GFS depicted, would it reach the ground as frozen precip, or would it all come down to the rate of precip?

It's close but a challenge to overcome the boundary layer. If temps were 35 or lower it would make it a lot more interesting. If the precip shield ends up being bigger so it precipitates longer I could see a mix or complete changeover happening. Could become discussion worthy if 0z ups the ante. 

Just now, MD Snow said:

HRDPS actually changes everyone over around the cities in the next 2 panels. 

Its interesting. Who knows, we still may get an inch or 2 of snow but not exactly the way we thought.

Mount Holly has rain/snow with 1/2" or less of accum for tomorrow evening here (coastal), then up to an inch on Tuesday. All subject to change by the looks of recent model trends.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's close but a challenge to overcome the boundary layer. If temps were 35 or lower it would make it a lot more interesting. If the precip shield ends up being bigger so it precipitates longer I could see a mix or complete changeover happening. Could become discussion worthy if 0z ups the ante. 

Thanks for the response Bob. Would be funny if the costal becomes our primary deliverer of snow for this event. Who knows. This winter has been full of surprises, that's for sure. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Thanks for the response Bob. Would be funny if the costal becomes our primary deliverer of snow for this event. Who knows. This winter has been full of surprises, that's for sure. 

Take a look at this. Rates are decent but surface is 39 degrees. Freezing line is up around 950mb or close to 2,000'. That's a long way for a snowflake to fall through above freezing temps. Drop surface to 35 degrees and I'd bet that subfreezing would be just off the deck. Under 1,000' up. That would work. If 0z has good precip again I'll pull a few soundings and see how close it is. The sounding below isn't very close. 

Rl3aI0m.jpg

42 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Take a look at this. Rates are decent but surface is 39 degrees. Freezing line is up around 950mb or close to 2,000'. That's a long way for a snowflake to fall through above freezing temps. Drop surface to 35 degrees and I'd bet that subfreezing would be just off the deck. Under 1,000' up. That would work. If 0z has good precip again I'll pull a few soundings and see how close it is. The sounding below isn't very close. 

Yeah, hrdps has temps around 36-37 falling to 34-35 during the changeover in dc/balt. 

2 hours ago, mappy said:

I approve

I'm going to pretend you're referring to my map-making skills and not the jackpot over your house.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I'd love to buy what its selling but I can't help but feel like I remember the RGEM always overdoing cold. Wonder if the high-res keeps that bias or not. 

From the benchmark information I've seen, the high-res should have less of a cold bias and less of a wet bias than the regular RGEM. 

8 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Yeah that worked out real well with the NAM's. Weaker coastal and no precip from the ivt. 

It shifted it north (like the euro did at 12z). The coastal is stronger then earlier runs but not west enough to impact us but I wonder if that change is pulling the IVT north. It's also back to a more IVT look then the last couple runs that looked like a nice vort pass induced convective band. Either way I sensed a disturbance in the force with the sudden shifts with the 18z runs and am not shocked if this takes a wrong turn. I don't like it when simple becomes complicated at the last minute. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It shifted it north (like the euro did at 12z). The coastal is stronger then earlier runs but not west enough to impact us but I wonder if that change is pulling the IVT north. It's also back to a more IVT look then the last couple runs that looked like a nice vort pass induced convective band. Either way I sensed a disturbance in the force with the sudden shifts with the 18z runs and am not shocked if this takes a wrong turn. I don't like it when simple becomes complicated at the last minute. 

What coastal?

1 minute ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

What coastal?

This coastal...IMG_3762.thumb.PNG.dff17042024e5b95a0451def33c6a3f3.PNG

just because it's not affecting us doesn't mean it's not there. 24 hours ago most guidance didn't have anything there. Not even southeast New England was getting hit. That's a pretty big shift. And that change can definitely impact other things like our IVT and vort. In this case perhaps it's pulling it north along with the stronger coastal system. 

Just now, high risk said:

still a narrow band of showers turning to a burst of snow in the NAM nest, but it's really short-lived.

We do still get the quick line but it doesn't start to stall and train southeast until past us so instead of 3-6 hours of snow it's one hour. Very disappointing. As I said above I wonder how the stronger coastal system is impacting us here. My gut says it's part of the problem and why the sudden shift simultaneously. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived