joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 29-30th Rain/Flurries coastal and IVT

WxUSAF

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other may disagree but I strongly believe the euro will handle the ivt feature the best. Shorter leads with superior resolution and skill should have the most accuracy. 

The coastal is likely to almost certainly be all rain. The ivt feature is what's dividing the coastal and cold air. I don't see much chance for the coastal to do anything but rain at this point. 

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Other may disagree but I strongly believe the euro will handle the ivt feature the best. Shorter leads with superior resolution and skill should have the most accuracy. 

The coastal is likely to almost certainly be all rain. The ivt feature is what's dividing the coastal and cold air. I don't see much chance for the coastal to do anything but rain at this point. 

Never really felt that there was much of a chance with seeing snow from the coastal. The same changes we needed to see to bring that close enough to impact our region also argued that the cold air would be delayed. As far as the IVT you are probably right, the Euro is probably best to handle that feature out of the globals until we get within 24 hrs then I might lean on the mesos a little more. But I am with @C.A.P.E. on this. It will probably end up to our north in the favored locals where we always see it set up.

Euro still tracks the ivt through the area but best precip and potential snowfall (1-2") is in the western zones. Feeling pretty good that we'll all see a period of snow but borderline temps and mid day timing will temper potential. These types of events often have mini jacks so it's very possible for someone in the sub to walk away with a respectable event.  

Because the maps I want aren't always available on public web sites, I've recently started looking for ways to generate my own.  I found panoply (https://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/panoply/), which lets you make your own maps from GRIB files. 

So this is my first test using panoply.  I've often wished we had a better short-range ensemble than the SREFs.  There is an RGEM ensemble (REPS), but I don't know of any site other than meteocentre that shows it.  And meteocentre's output isn't very useful (e.g. there's no accumulation data).  I don't know how good the RGEM ensemble is, but from what I've seen its members are generally more realistic than many of the SREF members. 

I just downloaded some REPS GRIB files and generated a mean-snowfall qpf map for the upcoming event.  It's not quite in range yet (some members are still snowing near the end), and this map isn't terribly exciting, but I thought I'd share because I've always wanted to see one of these, and I suspect I'll be making more in the future.

siWMn4X.png

6 minutes ago, cae said:

Because the maps I want aren't always available on public web sites, I've recently started looking for ways to generate my own.  I found panoply (https://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/panoply/), which lets you make your own maps from GRIB files. 

So this is my first test using panoply.  I've often wish we had a better short-range ensemble than the SREFs.  There is an RGEM ensemble (REPS), but I don't know of any site other than meteocentre that shows it.  And meteocentre's output isn't very useful (e.g. there's no accumulation data).  I don't know how good the RGEM ensemble is, but from what I've seen its members are generally more realistic than many of the SREF members. 

I just downloaded some REPS GRIB files and generated a mean-snowfall qpf map for the upcoming event.  It's not quite in range yet (some members are still snowing near the end), and this map isn't terribly exciting, but I thought I'd share because I've always wanted to see one of these, and I suspect I'll be making more in the future.

siWMn4X.png

I tried Panoply briefly and didn't get very far.

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

ULL delivers to everyone for happy hour. That’s probably the best look I’ve seen as it’s subforum wide. This is huggable.

It's straight up Christmas in Feb. Lol. These types of events can be fun. Super small so luck is big in getting under them. Someone could do half decent depending on best dynamics. UL energy almost always has a surprise or 2 embedded. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's straight up Christmas in Feb. Lol. These types of events can be fun. Super small so luck is big in getting under them. Someone could do half decent depending on best dynamics. UL energy almost always has a surprise or 2 embedded. 

Right now it is turning out to be better than Feb 2/3 event

11 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Hug the GFS for Tuesday and the euro for Friday. Easy. You new to this game?

RGEM extended runs a band of mod/heavy snow through the region with the IVT. I'm liking these trends today. If this holds, the euro picked up on it pretty far out in time compared to other guidance. 

LSi9yLw.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

RGEM extended runs a band of mod/heavy snow through the region with the IVT. I'm liking these trends today. If this holds, the euro picked up on it pretty far out in time compared to other guidance. 

That's the 12z GGEM.  (That site is confusing.)

I mention this because the extended 18z RGEM gives me a little more snow.  :snowing:

IHRNn22.png

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived