joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love day 8 snowstorms.   The GFS has me in snow and has Ji complaining about another miss tot he south while last night's Euro had the low so wrapped up it goes to the Ohio/Indiana border for an all rain event here.  Day 8 GFS snowstorms are like Redskins season, they start out with so much hope and end up, well you know, usually not so good.

24 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

I love day 8 snowstorms.   The GFS has me in snow and has Ji complaining about another miss tot he south while last night's Euro had the low so wrapped up it goes to the Ohio/Indiana border for an all rain event here.  Day 8 GFS snowstorms are like Redskins season, they start out with so much hope and end up, well you know, usually not so good.

dont worry...the euro will deamplify over the next few days and you will get your usual 3-5 while i get a trace

47 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

Well the Redskins are changing up Qbs so.... Nevermind. 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

IMG_3785.thumb.PNG.4e78e33e5c91d0a8377daa6092570ab2.PNG

Hope still...people see red all over the conus and think warm but you have to consider where high pressure would be with that and source regions and you get this 

IMG_3784.thumb.PNG.e8f71a6336039beac2dd24990c37e7f3.PNG

It's not perfect but it's closer then we are now. 

I have a hunch this month will have multiple mix events.

EPS gives little hope over the next 15 days with mean snow fall totals in DC of 0.5/1/1.5" over next 5/10/15 days.  The percent change of >1" is 18/26/26% while the percent chance of 6" is 2/4/4%. Much better chances of a >1" snow due north of DC at MD/PA border where chances are 82/90/94%.  Odds of 6" snow there are 10/12/14%.  Much better chances central PA north where the EPS odds of >6" during the next 15 days is ~90%. 

EPS gives little hope over the next 15 days with mean snow fall totals in DC of 0.5/1/1.5" over next 5/10/15 days.  The percent change of >1" is 18/26/26% while the percent chance of 6" is 2/4/4%. Much better chances of a >1" snow due north of DC at MD/PA border where chances are 82/90/94%.  Odds of 6" snow there are 10/12/14%.  Much better chances central PA north where the EPS odds of >6" during the next 15 days is ~90%. 

These numbers mean nothing. As we learned last week when they were much higher

1 minute ago, Ji said:
3 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

These numbers mean nothing. As we learned last week when they were much higher

Exactly. 2 or 3 days from now the snow mean might look epic. Its fun to look at , but basically worthless most of the time. When we have a good pattern with a legit chance 4-5 days out, then its worth seriously considering because there is a trackable threat on the table. Right now it is clear the next few events are predominately rain. I am focusing on the bigger picture. There is nothing that inspires a ton of confidence about the pattern going forward, but its not a shutout look, and there are some signs things could improve for the stretch run. See my most recent post. Yeah its a glass half full view but what else we got right now lol.

42 minutes ago, Ji said:

Gfs so close midweek

With a crawling gradient there could be multiple waves in relatively close succession. Guidance has decisively moved away from amped west tracks the last few days. A weaker system making a run at us would be good. Maybe something  breaks our way.  No way to know yet. 

GEFS took quite the jump south with the Wednesday system. Wouldn't take a lot more to have a decent event in favored Northern Counties. A couple members even get snow into DC, before switching to rain. 

gefs_ptype_ens_washdc_16.thumb.png.c9b07921d46ce3049401d1113b0d7572.png

Last time I can remember a storm that originally favored far North areas and then trended South up until gametime was 3/3/14 (can anyone confirm?). 

Would take a lot, but doesn't seem like pure fantasy to get a snow to rain event even as South as DC or even Jebman. 

38 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Until I see blocking(-NAO), there is no reason to think we are going to see a snowstorm no matter how good the pattern looks. 

The forecast for it looks positive...

Snowfall around here is most closely correlated with a -AO. If using a single teleconnection to estimate chances for snowfall here, the AO is the most important by a pretty big margin. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Snowfall around here is most closely correlated with a -AO. If using a single teleconnection to estimate chances for snowfall here, the AO is the most important by a pretty big margin. 

True, but in a Nina a stout west-based block might prove to be the difference it getting multiple moderate frozen events vs what we are experiencing now. Bad tracks when we get something decently juiced up, and otherwise separate streams with NS dominance, fast flow, and weak sauce ss waves, with our area often stuck in no mans land.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived