Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 16/17 light snow event.

clskinsfan

11 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Worst part of the euro going rogue is we only get to be happy twice a day. Not even that much , really, because by the time most wake up any good vibes from 0z euro have been murdered by the 6z suite.

It really is something isn’t it? Whenever the Euro is the holdout for snow around here it always seems to cave. Funny how that works huh?

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JMA is actually a long duration event. Snow starts before 60 hours with a slow moving front which gives time for the slp to form. I wonder what 90 hours would look like....would the slp kick out to sea or clobber DCA/BWI?  Anyway,  here's the link to 60 hours and you can scroll through until it ends with the panel Midlo posted.

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/map-explorer.php?lang=en&map=na&run=18&mod=jma&stn=PNMPR&comp=1&run2=18&mod2=jma&stn2=PNMPR&hh2=084&fixhh=1&stn2_type=prog&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&hh=060

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Interesting take from WPC via their Model Diagnostic Discussion-

THIS RULED THE 12Z NAM/12Z ECMWF OUT. THE 12Z CANADIAN AND 12Z UKMET LIE CLOSEST TO THE MIDDLE OF THE RANGE OF POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS ALOFT, WHICH IS PREFERRED WITH AVERAGE CONFIDENCE.

I thought the run was probably a bit of a blip in the face of all other guidance until I saw the EPS. I know the eps can be prone to "group think" just like the gefs but it's really hard to ignore that about 1/3 of the solutions were very large qpf makers and there's more than a small cluster on the western edge of the mean. 

I'm skeptical like everyone else but the euro/eps was pretty compelling to believe that there is more to it than a freak chance at a larger event. I thought the 18z gfs/gefs made a small but noticeable shift towards more dig/less progressive but it was still quite a ways from what the euro/eps are showing. 

This is how I see the odds right now:

75% chance of T-3"

15% chance at a widespread warning level event 

10% chance at 1" or less for the majority of the sub. 

At this point it looks like a near zero chance at a total whiff. Some unlucky folks could get skipped over but the vast majority are going to see a period of snow with this one. 

19 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

JMA is actually a long duration event. Snow starts before 60 hours with a slow moving front which gives time for the slp to form. I wonder what 90 hours would look like....would the slp kick out to sea or clobber DCA/BWI?  Anyway,  here's the link to 60 hours and you can scroll through until it ends with the panel Midlo posted.

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/map-explorer.php?lang=en&map=na&run=18&mod=jma&stn=PNMPR&comp=1&run2=18&mod2=jma&stn2=PNMPR&hh2=084&fixhh=1&stn2_type=prog&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&hh=060

Man. The JMA does have me salivating a little bit. We can only hope at this point.

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I thought the run was probably a bit of a blip in the face of all other guidance until I saw the EPS. I know the eps can be prone to "group think" just like the gefs but it's really hard to ignore that about 1/3 of the solutions were very large qpf makers and there's more than a small cluster on the western edge of the mean. 

I'm skeptical like everyone else but the euro/eps was pretty compelling to believe that there is more to it than a freak chance at a larger event. I thought the 18z gfs/gefs made a small but noticeable shift towards more dig/less progressive but it was still quite a ways from what the euro/eps are showing. 

This is how I see the odds right now:

75% chance of T-3"

15% chance at a widespread warning level event 

10% chance at 1" or less for the majority of the sub. 

At this point it looks like a near zero chance at a total whiff. Some unlucky folks could get skipped over but the vast majority are going to see a period of snow with this one. 

It' really hard to go against the Euro/eps   72 hours out. Just wish it had some support from one of the other major globals. 

3 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

It' really hard to go against the Euro/eps   72 hours out. Just wish it had some support from one of the other major globals. 

I guess the good news is that at this point out during the Jan 4th event the Euro was the only one getting snow into DC, and almost every GEFS member was East/OTS. Different setup I know, but there is some for the Euro to be valid. As long as this doesn't go like March 20 2016 where the Euro backed away from a moderate event within 48 hours of the storm, and the GFS ended up being right. 

8 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

The good stuff happens between 72-96 hours so still in that range where the euro/eps can overdo amplification so not in the prime window. The good thing is the run over run trend. It was a nice shift towards amplification. If it was the other way around we would all agree that the euro is shifting towards the gfs. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Cool. Just realized that by looking at the subforum header. I never realized that in all honesty. I think the NY City subforum is a better fit for them but whatever.

It wouldn't be a better fit. I live 2 miles from the Maryland border. My weather in the 6 years I've lived here, mimics DC weather almost perfectly and rarely anything from NYC or even Philly.

Banter aside, DT loves the Euro and hates the GFS, he presented an entire lecture at a conference and kept saying "GFS trash, Euro amazing".

Problem is, Euro hasn't been doing well, and DT is going down with the ship.

1 minute ago, Mdecoy said:

Banter aside, DT loves the Euro and hates the GFS, he presented an entire lecture at a conference and kept saying "GFS trash, Euro amazing".

Problem is, Euro hasn't been doing well, and DT is going down with the ship.

Funny thing is the past decade he has survived on that model. It was the undisputed king. This year it has struggled and the GFS has been solid since the update. It is an adjustment for all of us in all honesty :)

I just looked over the snowfall maps for the last six Euro runs.  There was one that was mostly a miss for the area, one that was a good area-wide hit, and four that looked similar to today's 12z run, with a jackpot zone near central VA.  The 18z GFS took a step towards the Euro at H5 and bumped up precip in central VA, and the 18z GGEM showed a central VA jackpot similar to the Euro.  Right now I think this storm is looking pretty good for that region.  It's not so clear for the rest of us.  I suspect I'll see more than 1" of snow fall from the sky over the entire event, but it might be at very low rates.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

12k bumping up precip tomorrow with the ivt feature. Would be funny if a half inch sneaks up along 95. 

Bob. Look off the NC coast at that area of precip and toggle back to previous run. Look at the pressure lines.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=eus&pkg=ref_frzn&runtime=2018011500&fh=28

Archived