Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 16/17 light snow event.

clskinsfan

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gefs resolution sucks and the event is light. I'm not saying I think fail isn't on the table but the gefs is not known for skill with light events. 

Our fate will prob be determined by the mesos tomorrow. Globals will broad brush and meso's will drill down. At least that's what I've been told. Lol. 

Can't wait for hrrr runs so we can live and die every 60 mins. 

Ensemble guidance is still the best we have at day 3.5 imo.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bob Chill said:

Euro is a solid 1-3" again pretty much everywhere but man, very close to coastal enhancement. An inch more amp and we get an extra 2"+ of snow....

plenty of time! I hate the 1-3 thing. 6-8 is one thing but there is a huge difference between 1 and 3

Ugh I was just making a point what they shownot trying to start a debate on usefulness. For the record I wasn't worried about the finer details with the frontal wave. The ensembles will suck as bob said. But I was concerned a bit that a cluster of members dry the front out totally because they develop a wave to our south that doesn't do us any good. That's what I outlined in my "how we get screwed" option. That option is still on the table that's all I was trying to say. Using the gefs for qpf at this point is a bad idea. 

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

Euro looks way more interesting at H5 compared to yesterday’s 12z. 

Man, it's close to max potential but still super dicey. We're not far from a good hit and conversely not far from a precip robbing miss to the south... Euro is right in between all 3 Psu scenarios 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Not sure how the odds are with the coastal enhancement but it's really close.... need to collectively will the precip max 75 miles north....

KPLcBf3.jpg

Central VA. jackpot , no way.

Bob, why is this not swinging Northeast, the tilt. 

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Central VA. jackpot , no way.

Bob, why is this not swinging Northeast, the tilt. 

Yea, still progressive enough to keep from gaining latitude when it matters out of the equation. Not mad at the run though. Still in the game for a nice light event and enough interesting stuff to discuss maxing out potential. I'm skeptical of that but interested of course. 

4 minutes ago, Amped said:

2 surface lows,  one over LI at 72, the 2nd off the del marva at 96.  Very odd setup.   Would be better for us if the high weren't so far south at 96hrs.

when looking at the nam or gfs yesterday it looked like there might have been a weak surface low popping up around va/nc border, though i could be wrong.  that would help us avoid the downsloping, coastal transfer effect we see here that causes those snow holes.

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

when looking at the nam or gfs yesterday it looked like there might have been a weak surface low popping up around va/nc border, though i could be wrong.  that would help us avoid the downsloping, coastal transfer effect we see here that causes those snow holes.

It's a weird hybrid progression of the euro. Mid and upper level support happens just in time for enhancement as the front moves through. Slp too far away for true coastal stuff but there's enough moisture overhead for upper level support to add some lift. Cva is ground zero. That moving north a bit is within the realm. Late development is also in the realm so it's touchy. 

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Man, it's close to max potential but still super dicey. We're not far from a good hit and conversely not far from a precip robbing miss to the south... Euro is right in between all 3 Psu scenarios 

It's a good run as it would give most of us at least a couple of inches.  The tilt still hurts us some but I think the odds of no snow are pretty small unless you call a dusting a miss.  If I remember right all the euro members from last night gave us at least a dusting.  This Euro run has a better looking 500 than that and therefore spits out a little more precip.  

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, still progressive enough to keep from gaining latitude when it matters out of the equation. Not mad at the run though. Still in the game for a nice light event and enough interesting stuff to discuss maxing out potential. I'm skeptical of that but interested of course. 

Thanks Bob, I admit I was a bit bummed but the lowering snowfall in my neck of the woods up here in  Delaware, I am just below the C&D Canal. Darn Dewey, and Reboboth taking all my snow this year. Maybe we get the jog North :-)   still time 

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

H7 closes off smack dab in the middle of VA at hr90. Move that 50 miles north please....

Normally, you want the low in that location but with no high to the north we're not gonna get any cold conveyor belt going so we need it a tad north unless we can change the tilt a bit

Just now, usedtobe said:

Normally, you want the low in that location but with no high to the north we're not gonna get any cold conveyor belt going so we need it a tad north unless we can change the tilt a bit and spread a little better warm advection over us. 

It's very dicey. Cva jackpots becuase of close proximity to good upper level support. Which was a marked improvement fron 0z. The localized nature of the setup is a bit of a bummer for the reasons you just pointed out. I'm actually a bit surprised with the run. It's maximizing what's available but not really close to getting broad coverage to the north. Interesting take on the event without much support. Could be the euro's amp tendencies at play. If it still looks similar in 24 hours it will be more believable.  

Archived