Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/16-17 Anafrontal/Coastal Low Snows Disco/Obs

Zelocita Weather

51 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Dropped from 40 to 33. Temps on the north shore are crashing right now, wow.

Down to a hair below freezing here.  Most of the north shore from PJ west is between 30 and 33.  

I could see mostly rain here, or I could see a "surprise" thumping.  I'm leaning to rain, but we are tantalizingly close to the cold side at 925 and tantalizingly close to heavier precip.  Put those 2 together and we'd thump even if it is raining at ISP.  South shore is easy for this one.  I'll go with a rain forecast for the north shore, but on the low side for confidence.

Basically, the guidance is pretty clear but there is so much that can go wrong and it only has to go a little wrong to change the outcome.  

Edit: Down to 31 as of 5:30.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Crazy wind shift. South of the LIE is 5-6* warmer than north, all of sudden my temp plummeted. Maybe the cold sound helps us out a bit, who knows. But i certainly was not expecting my temp to plummet like that. Very cool mesoscale feature, maybe it holds off the warm nose a bit. 

It's 35 here.  Nothing will stop us (All of LI) from raining at this point. 

9 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I haven’t really notice this cutoff move much all day, West Point has next to nothing 

44C68491-A44A-4798-BC5D-D52F05A59210.jpeg

On my drive up from the city the temp dropped from 37 to 27 and didn't notice any sign of snowfall till I hit the Bear Mountain area. Steady snow falling from Chester westward

6 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Oh I know. I expect to wake up to a slushy inch or two with wet pavement. It'll add to my seasonal total at least

Never expected that much, and might not see much more than snow showers from all that I've been seeing here. Never was anywhere near being in much of the game for this one.

18 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Oh I know. I expect to wake up to a slushy inch or two with wet pavement. It'll add to my seasonal total at least

I’m not sure why everyone keeps pushing this as a grass event, it’s not. I have been doing snow removal for years now and have it pretty pegged. Paved surfaces are cold from the recent cold so any snow that does fall will stick. The two exceptions are treated surfaces and when the sun comes up. 

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I’m not sure why everyone keeps pushing this as a grass event, it’s not. I have been doing snow removal for years now and have it pretty pegged. Paved surfaces are cold from the recent cold so any snow that does fall will stick. The two exceptions are treated surfaces and when the sun comes up. 

Expertise and experience take back seat to snow maps and gut feelings. You should know this by now.

43 minutes ago, Rjay said:

You're in better position than me for at least a little snow.   Enjoy.   Current temps don't mean a dam thing imo.  

Maybe, maybe not. Down to 31* here. It certainly helps to have colder BL when the issue is going to be the BL/925 MB level down the road. Id argue its better to start off below freezing than 37*

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

hrrr.png

all areas north of the Raritan river in NJ and west of eastern Staten Island and north of southern Brooklyn and Queens should have only a short period of liquid and mix and when the precip starts and when it starts getting  heavier they will change to all snow quickly - wouldn't be surprised if the NWS has to reissue WWA for some areas they cancelled since some models are trending cooler again

1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

all areas north of the Raritan river in NJ and west of eastern Staten Island and north of southern Brooklyn and Queens should have only a short period of liquid and mix and when the precip starts and when it starts getting  heavier they will change to all snow quickly - wouldn't be surprised if the NWS has to reissue WWA for some areas they cancelled since some models are trending cooler again

Exactly what I've been saying -- entirely premature move on their part. And I'm only speaking 50% from a meteorological sense. They're acting like this is their first rodeo. 

3 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Why do you think so? I've seen lots of storms like this over the years; they don't favor us. Unless you mean we will get some small amount of frozen precip. I don't see much of significance here ( I consider 1-3 insignificant; anyone who has lived in the area for any amount of time does not stop daily activities for this amount, which I don't think we will even see ).

Archived