Newest Member
    joxey
1/16-17 Anafrontal/Coastal Low Snows Disco/Obs

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It's becoming less of an event for more people today, but it's still significant. And the time of day couldn't be much worse.

For some people sure, its becoming a non event. But for parts of the metro, its still an at least advisory criteria storm. Claiming its only for "outside the metro" leads to more of the location fights bs that have plagued this subforum for years. 

1 minute ago, BxEngine said:

For some people sure, its becoming a non event. But for parts of the metro, its still an at least advisory criteria storm. Claiming its only for "outside the metro" leads to more of the location fights bs that have plagued this subforum for years. 

As I said earlier, the difference in sensible weather over a 150 mile stretch between Newburgh and Riverhead is so stark that it might as well be 1500 miles. 

You would think New England would have a similar issue but they don't.

9 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That's not entirely accurate. The warm layer is extremely shallow. The interior has a period of good lift around 700mb where temps will be -8C  to -12C which is generally favorable.

This has the potential of delivering a period of very heavy wet snow around sunrise. 

What's your best guess for ratios north of 84 in dutchess county? I was thinking 10-12:1. 

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

As I said earlier, the difference in sensible weather over a 150 mile stretch between Newburgh and Riverhead is so stark that it might as well be 1500 miles. 

You don't think there's a huge difference between Worcester and Cape Cod?

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The cape and BOS aren't different?

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Is that a map of the NY TV area? Because that line on Ocean County is exactly where the cutoff between NY Stations and Philly is.

Idk man.  Supposedly it's the NYC metro area.  I'd never consider Pike county part of NYC metro but every map I found includes them.  

map-of-new-york-metro-area-15-maps-update-18051609-in.jpg

15 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Depending on which route you take one could get Newburgh and Riverhead 200 miles apart but after looking at a map one will see they they are closer to 80 miles apart from each other and yes, those 80 miles can make a world of difference.  The snow became steadier in central Orange County over the past hour or so, everything getting coated once again after pixie dust for much of the day.  

16 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

150 sounded high, so I went and mapped it.  Newburgh to Riverhead is 80 miles for the crows.  Roughly half.

Now Norfolk, CT to Riverhead is only 77 miles.  That's an even starker difference in winter climo, but there's more elevation difference.

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

I’m not sure where you’re at exactly...but I just flew over Long Beach on the ILS31R. Beyond the frozen edges Of the bay I did not see any snow cover whatsoever. Not doubting your account, But I just want to paint an accurate picture...I flew over 20 minutes ago and there is no snow cover in Long Beach west to Rockaway east to Lido and Jones. Again, I’m not being confrontational but I’m just putting that out there.

Wantagh, so 7-10 miles north east of there. I should have taken a picture. My front yard has 50% snow cover 

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I wonder if anyone is commuting from Pine Hill.  NYC metro, eh?

People with ridiculous commutes isn’t that uncommon I have about 5 firefighter that work with me that have 2hr 30min commutes from PA TO West Point 

granted we work 48 hour shifts so they’re not commuting 5 days a week

29 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Dropping the WWA here in NYC was rash. No need to do that yet. I see no reason not to still expect 2-4" here. Latest NAM looked much improved and it is downright cold here in Harlem. 

The soundings show a warm layer below 900 mb. There will be rain/very wet snow before any accumulations take place in the City. Here's the NAM sounding for tomorrow 6z.

SoundingNYC0116201818z12h.jpg

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

The soundings show a warm layer below 900 mb. There will be rain/very wet snow before any accumulations take place in the City. Here's the NAM sounding for tomorrow 6z.

SoundingNYC0116201818z12h.jpg

The rain snow line is very close . It's possible that the models are wrong with that aspect.

We shall see

Archived