Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

3K should be interesting.  Nice to see totals beef up across the board as we move in.  Hopefully, the other 12Zs follow suit.  Good work by the SREF this time. :)

It seems like this type of event is more in the wheelhouse for the srefs to be accurate. The coastals throw so many outliers that the mean is meaningless. But since the Max's are only showing around 4" it's all more believable

FYI, just form anecdotal evidence. I have noticed that in these type setups, precip usually over performs for the tiny warm bubble behind the mountains from lookouts house up to Oconee county. I contribute this over-performing do to the slight amount of lift created when the cold air from the northwest is lifted over this dome of warmer air. It usually doesn't help us at all though b/c it's typical raining in these set ups while everyone else is cold enough for snow. 

If we can manage to be cold enough for snow I expect there to be some qpf there for us in this "no man's land area".

9 minutes ago, griteater said:

You said this 3 days ago yet we've banged out 10 thousand posts pulling our hair out

lol, I try to stay away from looking at the sfc maps too much until 36 or 48 hours if I can. This vort has a lot of rotation associated with it per the 500mb vorticity maps and it's strengthening as it heads into the TN Valley. This will be enough to spark a weak coastal low. We should see some enhancement over central/eastern NC due to this. 2 or 3 is likely. 4 to 5 is not out of the question in the lollipops.

5 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Most important thing I saw on the NAM is the thermals are much colder than the GFS.

The GFS will have no clue in these scenarios on timing.  Usually will be way too warm behind the front for too long.  I was comparing it for places like BNA BHM ATL and it was much too slow working the cold air in.  

Archived