Newest Member
    Dano62
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, griteater said:

Lookout - checkout how the RGEM keeps light precip going in the upstate after the band rolls through like you mentioned earlier - http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

I made a post somewhat related to this last night - I believe that frontogenesis plays a roll there as the cold air approaches from the NW and runs into the relative warm bubble over the Upper Savannah River Valley...which packs the isotherms (frontogenesis aiding lift), and it can be slow to breakdown - https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50810-potential-117-118-threat/?do=findComment&comment=4781339

HRRX as well

image.png

14 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yep, very true.  What most people don't realize is that a couple tenths of precip makes a lot of difference in accums, not that they know how to measure it anyway.  Sticking a ruler deep into a mulch bed or thicket doesn't yield as much snow depth as you think!

And you never hear any complaints that it only rained .3" when we were promised .6" (unless Shetley is posting).

Just doing the limited number of forecast maps that I've done on here, making a forecast map that ends up being accurate is a whole lot harder than it may seem.  As the old saying goes, "it's going to snow where it wants to snow"

Mets who downplay this are not doing a service to their communities. There will obviously be banding in this. I would rather urge caution rather than saying roads will not be that bad or 0 inches. People look to us and head what we say. This event has a likely possiblity of over preforming models. Don't treat this lightly.

4 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I keep screaming this but if there was ever going to be an event to overperform, THIS IS IT. 

Agreed!

There was an event maybe around 2010 where a classic clipper system came through.  While it is not the same, its the temperatures etc...that make it similar.  The moisture built back up after the mountains and dropped about 3" around here within 2 hours at most.  As soon as the snow started it stuck and never melted because the ground was cold.  Was one of the few snows where you see it actually blowing across the road here.

The rates werent amazing but we are so used to it taking hours before slushy mess is on the roads it caught everyone off guard.  By the time we made it where we were going, a 15 min drive, there was at least an inch everywhere.

I feel like this will be very similar.  We dont need an inch of precipitation to get 6 inches of snow from this system and the brief warm up we had was nothing compared to a week of below freezing temperatures.  As soon as the first flakes fall they will stick.

i also think salting roads can make situations like this worse.  The snow will stick so quick that the brine wont help much and the snow on top will insulate the lower snow on the road and we will then have temps in the teens which will just create a layer of ice underneath the snow. 

1 hour ago, griteater said:

Yeah I said the NAM was good for the upstate....but severely lacking in the NW upstate through the immediate mtn lee

And this seems to be a constant in models. East sides of the foothills county will score more than the west in this set up. 

6 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

GSP probabilities for greater than 1 inch of snow.  This is one of the times where it's better to be east than west, unfortunately...for me.

No doubt man. It is always a fine line. I live further east in Rutherford than west so, I got that going :)

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Is the RGEM a short range model? Just wondering why the pretty big differences between it and GFS? 

I would probably lean toward the broader precip footprint ideas of the global models (GFS, Euro, UKMet, CMC)....but look at the NAM/RGEM to hone in on where relative mins/maxes could occur

Archived