• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

Latest HRRR runs are really impressive. We're talking 12-16" anywhere from 495 interior BOS south to interior SE MA. Another max over Tolland to ORH as we expected.
Interior SE MA up to Blue Hills looks to be the bullseye.

Right now living in Waltham and working in Burlington. How much do you think we will get along the i95/128 corridor?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

OK now Omni confused.  

I ran to my neighbors grass and he has 4.5-4.75"

I went to a completely different area of my spot - 4.75-5.25"

But still the most on my grass / driveway is 2.5"  

What the.......  

I wonder if strong wind is somehow involved in the different depths between areas a few dozen feet apart with potential minor nuances in topography.

3 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

OK now Omni confused.  

I ran to my neighbors grass and he has 4.5-4.75"

I went to a completely different area of my spot - 4.75-5.25"

But still the most on my grass / driveway is 2.5"  

What the.......  

Drifting?

2 minutes ago, CTWeatherFreak said:

But I see no evidence of sleet.. .just hearing it.

Hearing it too in Southington. Might be a product of just crappy flake size as these aren't good dendrites. Also, perhaps there is so much latent heat being released...? That happened back in 2013 I think

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Our resident accordion man is going to lose it when he sees you have 7".

He's got to have some sort of mesoscale screw zone on his property given how much this seems to happen to him.

Ripping here with the heaviest of the day so far, heading out to measure shortly.

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I honestly hope I'm not an idiot for upping totals again. Everything now is band, subsidence, band rather than a nice solid precip shield. I've come to realize I'm a horrific nowcaster. 

We used to do that all the time when we were first starting out, now we've realized that unless it's clearly busting, mid-storm updates are usually more emotionally charged than the factual work you did before the system and your final pre-storm map works out better than any update you did more often than not.

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I honestly hope I'm not an idiot for upping totals again. Everything now is band, subsidence, band rather than a nice solid precip shield. I've come to realize I'm a horrific nowcaster. 

Forecasting the movement and evolution of 20-30 mile wide snow bands over a several hour long period is pretty much impossible. Not just you lol. 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Hearing it too in Southington. Might be a product of just crappy flake size as these aren't good dendrites. Also, perhaps there is so much latent heat being released...? That happened back in 2013 I think

Im thinking its only happening in the subsidence bands due to poor snow growth as you and others have suggested.

2 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Drifting?

I'm talking WIDE wide area of consistent 2.5".  Same like 5 spots as I've measured forever.  Then I go to others and it's consistently about 5".  And Cumberland Clearly does not have 2.5".  The radar has been as good as Any storm I can ever remember.  There's hardly ever drifting here, I almost never get much wind.  But this has been a recurring incident since about 2012.  I used to get the most snow of anyone in Cumberland to the point where the NWS would Call me and Question me where I had to send pictures.  Now I'm running around all the time trying to find higher amounts cause it makes no sense.  

1 minute ago, SR Airglow said:

We used to do that all the time when we were first starting out, now we've realized that unless it's clearly busting, mid-storm updates are usually more emotionally charged than the factual work you did before the system and your final pre-storm map works out better than any update you did more often than not.

I've kept 6-12 for the state but thats going to be too low i feel. 8-14 seems more likely and pretty evenly spread across the state, based on the transient nature of the banding and subsidence zones

1 minute ago, SR Airglow said:

Definitely agreed...I always feel like when I do mid-storm updates they are more emotionally driven and you see something and start to panic. When I started the update though the radar looked quite solid with the crazy heavy band and not a ton of subsidence but that has since changed. I'm pissed b/c how the radar looks now is what I had exactly envisioned in my head

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

Forecasting the movement and evolution of 20-30 mile wide snow bands over a several hour long period is pretty much impossible. Not just you lol. 

yeah it's such a pain...you think it won't move and then all of a sudden whoosh it's moved

1 minute ago, TheSnowman said:

I'm talking WIDE wide area of consistent 2.5".  Same like 5 spots as I've measured forever.  Then I go to others and it's consistently about 5".  And Cumberland Clearly does not have 2.5".  The radar has been as good as Any storm I can ever remember.  There's hardly ever drifting here, I almost never get much wind.  But this has been a recurring incident since about 2012.  I used to get the most snow of anyone in Cumberland to the point where the NWS would Call me and Question me where I had to send pictures.  Now I'm running around all the time trying to find higher amounts cause it makes no sense.  

You’re getting too wrapped up in it.  It’s a beautiful snowy day-enjoy it!

Archived