Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

What a maddening storm. But that storm too remember had a very low pressure and I think after many wondered if b/c of that the precipitation was more band-like as opposed to a shield of widespread precipitation. (I mentioned this in my blog post). That would really complicate things b/c you'll have bands of heavy snows but then in between you'll suck on subsidence like a cheap cigar.

Radar was definitely shredded for a period. As Ryan will attest too, it was awful.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Perhaps insane winds could? But I think dendrites are held together well. Then tend to go with the wind. Might be some good chem bonding keeping them together?

yeah I would have to think they do hold together quite well and it probably would have to take some pretty damn strong winds to rip them apart. This would be a really interesting study..could probably compose a class off of this type of stuff lol

Trying to wrap my flu infused mind around a 948. I remember Messenger and I tracking a 952 through the Gulf if Maine knocking buoys offline one by one. I think the SNE non tropical record is 954 at ACK in 1922 or 23. Obviously being so far offshore we are looking at 960 ish on land but wow. 850 inflow and convergence is so sick on these 0Z models so far

Just now, Hoth said:

Radar was definitely shredded for a period. As Ryan will attest too, it was awful.

It would snow pretty well for a little bit and then go to tiny flakes...and then it was rinse and repeat. I would think we see a similar situation here? I mean isn't one of the biggest reasons why precipitation within tropical storms and hurricanes bandy b/c of the pressure gradient and low pressures? My knowledge of tropical meteorology is pretty weak unfortunately. 

12 minutes ago, bboughton said:

The last minute changes to this storm track and the lack of a Blizzard Watch are going to cause people on Eastern MA to not take this as seriously as they should. What was the rationale for doing away with Blizzard watch? 

I think the rationale is that it is still a winter storm. If you are preparing for a winter storm it could contain all hazards including ice or wind/snow combination. So you just have to read the winter storm watch text now. If we are thinking blizzard conditions, it will say blizzard conditions possible. And blizzard warnings still exist, so there will still be a differentiation at go time.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Conv messing around with the models I think. 

Just now, tim123 said:

Convective feedback still pulling storm to far east. But every run it closer to coast farther up the coast

Both of these seem to be the case.  It’s jumping out for no apparent reason...very odd if it’s not the convective feedback phenomenon..

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I think the rationale is that it is still a winter storm. If you are preparing for a winter storm it could contain all hazards including ice or wind/snow combination. So you just have to read the winter storm watch text now. If we are thinking blizzard conditions, it will say blizzard conditions possible. And blizzard warnings still exist, so there will still be a differentiation at go time.

I think the average consumer of weather is not reading the somewhat jargon-y text of the warnings  and most know a WSW as a moderate snowstorm and a Blizzard as a dangerous snow storm regardless of actual criteria met.

Blizzard warnings will be w/in 24 hours here. Doesn’t provide a lot of notice. Especially when your average consumer does not even know about this change.

Archived