Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I dropped a 20-bomb on my first call and and thinking long and hard about where I go from here.

You don't need a lot of time to get stupid in a system of this ilk.

I can certainly see it up your way. I think the max potential we're looking at in this system if things play right is like 18-24'' with maybe some 26'' totals? Back my way I'm just way too torn to attempt a map. I can see something like 3-6'' or even 12-18'' if it became apparent great banding set up this way. I'm hoping 0z runs will offer a bit more confidence in how to hedge. These systems are just a mess to try and explain to folks...I feel for TV meteorologists in this case b/c they're limited with on air time...luckily there is blogging now and facebook live and things of that nature to help 

4 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Great post. I believe Scott has mentioned the whole shredded dendrites in wind issue is often overblown.

Thanks. 

It's a tough one. It probably is overblown to some extent. Not sure exactly how much research has been done into this but there probably is some sort of threshold in which when winds reach a certain level they can start having an influence on dendrites. I would also think the wind is more likely to rip them apart when you're dealing with the real fluffy snow...the high ratio type stuff

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Thanks. 

It's a tough one. It probably is overblown to some extent. Not sure exactly how much research has been done into this but there probably is some sort of threshold in which when winds reach a certain level they can start having an influence on dendrites. I would also think the wind is more likely to rip them apart when you're dealing with the real fluffy snow...the high ratio type stuff

It's more of the dendrites hitting the ground, smashing, and then being dragged across..thus ruining ratios.

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Thanks. 

Could be. Certainly seemed to be the case for me on Boxing Day. Windiest nor'easter I've seen, and nothing but dense baking soda/sand, but I don't know if that's just bad snow growth or the smashing issue.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It's more of the dendrites hitting the ground, smashing, and then being dragged across..thus ruining ratios.

ahhh thanks...wow I always looked at that completely wrong. I thought the influence was more aloft than the surface. This explains why I was confused when doing some analysis stuff and see such intense winds aloft but still reading about crazy ratios lol

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Funniest thing about that to me is it shows my folks' place in Hamden getting a foot, and they were actually closer to 40.

I live in Ansonia near the Woodbridge line. That storm was epic! Being most fell over night we pulled an almost all night we watching the snow fall or dump. Plows broke and couldn’t handle or keep up with the snow. Our town went down to I believe 1-2 town plows. The one town vehicle that ended up being our emergency vehicle was the h-1 hummer. http://www.ryanhanrahan.com/2013/05/14/its-official-ansonia-smashes-state-24-hour-snowfall-record/

Just now, weatherwiz said:

ahhh thanks...wow I always looked at that completely wrong. I thought the influence was more aloft than the surface. This explains why I was confused when doing some analysis stuff and see such intense winds aloft but still reading about crazy ratios lol

Perhaps insane winds could? But I think dendrites are held together well. Then tend to go with the wind. Might be some good chem bonding keeping them together?

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Could be. Certainly seemed to be the case for me on Boxing Day. Windiest nor'easter I've seen, and nothing but dense baking soda/sand.

What a maddening storm. But that storm too remember had a very low pressure and I think after many wondered if b/c of that the precipitation was more band-like as opposed to a shield of widespread precipitation. (I mentioned this in my blog post). That would really complicate things b/c you'll have bands of heavy snows but then in between you'll suck on subsidence like a cheap cigar.

To be quite honest (and not because it shows my area with 17 inches), but the 3k NAM looks more like what you would expect from a system of this type as far as distribution of snowfall amounts..much more uniform instead of a big hole in the middle, with a lot south of the area, and a lot in the east.  

Distribution Kind of doesn’t make sense if this thing is still strengthening as it is coming up.. 

and Hoth is correct...we were in the least amount forecasted for Feb 13..and the area was one of the jackpots with 30-40 inch amounts...when at the start of the storm we were forecasted to get 10-15.  Those are the good busts lol. 

Archived