Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The snow, sleet, and freezing rain oh my Dec 27-30 thread

lilj4425

19 minutes ago, Lookout said:

I think we could see a decent portion of the storm as sleet across at least northeast sections of the state...with potentially mostly sleet in the upstate..fortunately. Soundings for the first half of the storm look very cold. canadian and euro wetbulbs suggest temps dropping as low as 23 to 25...with gfs in the upper 20s. But right off the surface, canadian has 925mb temps of -7 to -8c and nearly -10c in the upstate...euro/gfs is -4 to -5c.. So the worst of the freezing rain could end up being in the western half of north ga and parts of north central ga...and sc...depending on exactly how cold the low levels are and the extent of the warm nose. It seems the upstate at least is solidly in the sleet category so far..and ne ga is 50/50...which would make for quite a mess still. 

From what I can tell at this point the models are showing a pretty classic CAD set up. While the run to run differences are there,if this storm comes to fruition it will most likely be the “typical” ice set up for n ga at least. If the cold air is deep enough maybe a few flakes but probably sleet/frz rain.  Will be interesting to see how deep the cold air is and where the warm nose is able to get in enough for the frz rain.  With the very low dew points being shown now this could be a sleet fest for ne ga and the upstate until/unless the warm nose works up to change to frz rain

i am sure at some point some models will show the “1.5” qpf  of ice and people will freak lol. Yes it can happen but the extreme ice amounts usually don’t end up happening. Appears the chances are getting better that a lot of us will see frozen precip this week!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting to get optimistic here in the east that we may do ok this time around...especially with the second wave....just need those lows to stay offshore and moving ENE OTS to keep most of us in the game.....a 1000 MB low 200 miles east of Hatteras moving ENE is about our perfect track for central and eastern NC.....hell even the OBX will score some accumulating snow with this setup

12 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Just a quick glance and only 3-4 whiffs on there and as you said, lots of decent hits!!

I count 6 whiffs...11 solid hits.  I think we know how this ends.  The day 8-9 threat looks promising...I think I have typed the preceding statement a few times over the years.  

8 minutes ago, Justincobbco said:

Looks like 6 million Atlantans are going to be in the dark emoji50.pngemoji47.pngemoji47.png

Probably would be saved somewhat in the case a severe ice storm occurred by the fact Irma took out a bunch of weaker trees.  When we were hit in New York by Sandy in 2012 many places which had outages during Irene a year earlier didn’t have outages the 2nd time around 

Well, unless things change, with such a strong wedge, the only thing that could keep me from a power-outage icestorm is if there isn't as much QPF, which appears to be the only variable that is somewhat up in the air. Also, if this high is really so strong and cold, perhaps my area N of ATL will even be cold enough for some sleet to save me from tree crashing zr. It seems like Gwinnett to Forsyth to Dawson E/NEward always seems to do well in wedges, especially as strong of one as this is being progged to be.

3 minutes ago, CummingGaSnow said:

Well, unless things change, with such a strong wedge, the only thing that could keep me from a power-outage icestorm is if there isn't as much QPF, which appears to be the only variable that is somewhat up in the air. Also, if this high is really so strong and cold, perhaps my area N of ATL will even be cold enough for some sleet to save me from tree crashing zr. It seems like Gwinnett to Forsyth to Dawson E/NEward always seems to do well in wedges, especially as strong of one as this is being progged to be.

Atleast my area does something well for once........Freezing rain

5 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Looks to be a little east of me. I definitely would love some wintry mix emoji300.png️- and I enjoy Power as much as the next guy. emoji2.png

. Pro

If this SFC high/wedge is as strong as advertised, you will be getting zr too. Cherokee can get hit hard too, especially the east part. The areas that usually don't get much zr in strong wedges are to your west in Bartow and Nward, and especially NW GA; places like Dalton, Calhoun, etc...

2 minutes ago, Justincobbco said:

Does anyone have freezing rain amount predictions as of yet?

There's all kind of maps out that would suggest it's lights out for much of North GA but this far out I don't think anyone could really give you anything but a WAG. Personally, I expect to be able to take pics of the ice but I have no clue how much we'll get.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived