• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The snow, sleet, and freezing rain oh my Dec 27-30 thread

lilj4425

CMC is a best case scenario but it has been ticking flatter too...but this would be a great outcome.  Nice little southern vort that is separate from the NS energy and we gets a nice event...well eastern NC gets a nice event.  Not good when CMC is by itself.  To bad UK looks weak

gem_z500_vort_us_17.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

CMC is a best case scenario but it has been ticking flatter too...but this would be a great outcome.  Nice little southern vort that is separate from the NS energy and we gets a nice event...well eastern NC gets a nice event.  Not good when CMC is by itself.  To bad UK looks weak

gem_z500_vort_us_17.png

Hitting the eggnog again!

The first storm was super amped to and now we jumping on the next amped system.  This one is fading compared to what it was unless models bring it back.  No reason to get excited until the first one verifies.  This will be the winter that was so close but faded away in the end.  Hopefully the models come back and crushes us all.  If not I still wish you all a Merry Christmas!!!

21 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Maybe? That's seems to be about all we have to chase atm!!

Says the guy who seems to get at least 8 inches out of every system that comes through the SE :lol:. WNC always does better than modeled; colder temps than everyone else, always a leading finger of precipitation that drops snow there for hours before it even reaches upstate, up slope enhanced precipitation, and can even benefit from wrap around. 10 to 1 says you do better than 90% on the board.

Ok, so let me ask is the CMC good at picking up on precip trends this far out. Which is the better model for QPF at this stage in the game? I just don't wanna be letting myself down with a bad model run if it's not the model of choice for precip this far out because I know different models perform better with different variables at different ranges.

Says the guy who seems to get at least 8 inches out of every system that comes through the SE :lol:. WNC always does better than modeled; colder temps than everyone else, always a leading finger of precipitation that drops snow there for hours before it even reaches upstate, up slope enhanced precipitation, and can even benefit from wrap around. 10 to 1 says you do better than 90% on the board.

Yes I do all right in a lot situations. I’m specifically talking about late this week we’ll see what we shoveling come Friday!!

2 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

It's all about perspective. Something that would let him down would have me excited as hell. Just the way it is.

2 minutes ago, CummingGaSnow said:

Ok, so let me ask is the CMC good at picking up on precip trends this far out. Which is the better model for QPF at this stage in the game? I just don't wanna be letting myself down with a bad model run if it's not the model of choice for precip this far out because I know different models perform better with different variables at different ranges.

All we can do is sit tight and check out the trends going forward.  I don't view any one model as the most superior at this range (Euro ain't what it used to be).  As long as the models don't just evaporate the storm, via a very flat wave, the normal tendency is to see some strengthening and more model precip as we get closer

There is no doubt that the southern areas want the first storm to pan out.  The first storm is either happens or doesn’t happen.  It’s not likely to overamp and give areas of GA/SC rain.  The 2nd storm with the absence of a pronounced -NAO is pretty likely to be a rain event for SC/GA and probably most of NC outside of the mountains 

23 minutes ago, griteater said:

All we can do is sit tight and check out the trends going forward.  I don't view any one model as the most superior at this range (Euro ain't what it used to be).  As long as the models don't just evaporate the storm, via a very flat wave, the normal tendency is to see some strengthening and more model precip as we get closer

I'll never forget last Jan event, sitting on these boards 5 days out and every model and almost everyone had written it off. Stuck the fork in it. And it was a 0z ukmet or euro run that brought the storm back to life out of nowhere. Ended up with 6 inches. Not saying it will happen again, but never write off a threat 5 days out. You where on that night when it happened.

28 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

There is no doubt that the southern areas want the first storm to pan out.  The first storm is either happens or doesn’t happen.  It’s not likely to overamp and give areas of GA/SC rain.  The 2nd storm with the absence of a pronounced -NAO is pretty likely to be a rain event for SC/GA and probably most of NC outside of the mountains 

Don't see much chance of the 2nd storm being anything but ice or snow for NC given the HP placement over the plains. The GFS has a 1053 HP sitting over N Dakota on Sunday w -40C temps.  -NAO isn't the most important factor for storms in the south. The +PNA pattern and 500MB cutoff heading towards New England at hour 120 is pretty ideal and would likely lead to at least an ICE situation near New years. 

gfs_z500aNorm_namer_21.png

I'll never forget last Jan event, sitting on these boards 5 days out and every model and almost everyone had written it off. Stuck the fork in it. And it was a 0z ukmet or euro run that brought the storm back to life out of nowhere. Ended up with 6 inches. Not saying it will happen again, but never write off a threat 5 days out. You where on that night when it happened.

Exactly! Making Winter Great Again one model at a time

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived