Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jbenedet said:

FWIW, the final outcome on the 12z NAM will be better.

What is probably the only thing worth notin regarding NAM at this point is through 48–deeper southern stream shortwave, stronger PNA ridge and less confluence over the northeast.

I guess the PNA ridiging doesn't matter according to the model sensitivity.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I guess the PNA ridiging doesn't matter according to the model sensitivity.

Yea I saw a bit on that earlier. My personal take is it will help out indirectly, by amplifying our southern stream shortwave faster/earlier in turn allowing for better downstream UL height rises and a track further west.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Is the model sensitivity a produce that we have access to, or is it VIP?

I think you can view the NCEP part of it, the rest is password protected. http://breezy.somas.stonybrook.edu/CSTAR/Ensemble_Sensitivity/EnSense_Main.html

I would recommend starting with these two articles before really diving into it:

http://breezy.somas.stonybrook.edu/CSTAR/Ensemble_Sensitivity/Extras/HowToNavigate.html

http://breezy.somas.stonybrook.edu/CSTAR/Ensemble_Sensitivity/Extras/HowToInterpret.html

Just now, jbenedet said:

Yea I saw a bit on that earlier. My personal take is it will help out indirectly, by amplifying our southern stream shortwave faster/earlier in turn allowing for better downstream UL height rises and a track further west.

You are on the further west train?  I am as that's how these have been working out lately.  But who knows...for me the signal has been that this goes due north or even hooks on a lot of runs.  That might mean the precip  field doesn't escape east so quickly 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Is model sensitivity something that has a high degree of variance across the pantheon of guidance? Ie, Sensitivity on the GFS beinh different from that of the euro?

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Is model sensitivity something that has a high degree of variance across the pantheon of guidance? Ie, Sensitivity on the GFS beinh different from that of the euro?

Because you're looking at sensitivity of the ensemble to certain features, you don't really find a difference in absolute values across ensemble systems.

Basically, the features may be handled differently from the GEFS to the EPS but they will each have a comparable sensitivity to those features. Ideally, you would like to see the variance be explained by the same features across the ensemble systems, but it doesn't always happen that way.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol actually on my phone on my deck, it's 3 degrees  the snow is sparkling like Diamonds in the Sun. I already had looked at U wind. Also PWAT , 250 wind. Probabilities of .5 are 50% all the way to you. You qpf queens need to start learning ratios.  

Pretty well versed in ratios up this way... I don't think of this discussion as negative, just sometimes hard to go between wishcasting or blind statements (not you by any means Ginxy)... to be like yeah it's going to dump big snows back to Albany with a low moving 500 miles east into Nova Scotia just because there's an Arctic airmass in place seems interesting.  

Now you can't rule out much larger snows in central/western New England but I think it would be because the surface low and the whole shebang track further west...not because the models are failing to see the moisture at the current track.

Also if I'm in Eastern New England, I'm getting ready to shovel snow so opinions often matter depending on where you are.  

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Pretty well versed in ratios up this way... I don't think of this discussion as negative, just sometimes hard to go between wishcasting or blind statements (not you by any means Ginxy)... to be like yeah it's going to dump big snows back to Albany with a low moving 500 miles east into Nova Scotia just because there's an Arctic airmass in place seems interesting.  

Now you can't rule out much larger snows in central/western New England but I think it would be because the surface low and the whole shebang track further west...not because the models are failing to see the moisture at the current track.

Yea for sure.  Dude I pulled a 30 to 1 last night, .05 for 1.5. Cool 

46 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I remember somebody making fun of somebody when rhey suggested they would check back on Tuesday once everything is sampled 

We did but then that someone checked back in within like 2 hours lol. If you gonna “wake me up Tue night” it then go to bed and quit bitching until then. 

Archived