• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9, 2017 - Storm Discussion (Breaking the seal on the season for many)

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My son is reporting "pingers" in Rice Village, Houston. Some great video of snow flying on the south mall at Texas tower this evening on social media.

Update - just sent video of light snow falling. Very cool for snow to fall in downtown Houston.

DE FTW.

Playing around with soundings, it's not an ideal dendrite thumper as the lift plays games with the DGZ..and some models have been drying that layer out at times..but you also have wholesale lift in the column which can help...even when temps aren't perfect for snow growth. It seems like the activity may come in rather potent in the aftn. 

1 minute ago, The Graupler said:

Well this sucks.  Spending  Sunday shoveling and snow blowing.  If the early week storm is bad looks like I might miss work costing me money right before the Holidays.  Could be devastating.

Maybe you can wrestle the Iron Sheik for a little extra dough?

30 minutes ago, The Graupler said:

Well this sucks.  Spending  Sunday shoveling and snow blowing.  If the early week storm is bad looks like I might miss work costing me money right before the Holidays.  Could be devastating.

What do you do for work? What's wrong with snow blowing and shoveling on a Sunday, better than raking or mowing.

it is nice that snow is coming but I think this will shake out like 98% of the other events with a few inches of baking powder....maybe a C&I inch on top for good measure (my favorite part) while zones east crush it with up to a foot....it is the same program over and over

I imagine with the heavy bands east we will be in some kind of baking powder subsidence zone but it is better than nothing

just uncanny how the sweet spot trend of the past decade and beyond just keeps on trucking....congrats ktol to korh to ktan

9 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

it is nice that snow is coming but I think this will shake out like 98% of the other events with a few inches of baking powder....maybe a C&I inch on top for good measure (my favorite part) while zones east crush it with up to a foot....it is the same program over and over

I imagine with the heavy bands east we will be in some kind of baking powder subsidence zone but it is better than nothing

just uncanny how the sweet spot trend of the past decade and beyond just keeps on trucking....congrats ktol to korh to ktan

Central and western areas did great in the two big ones in February and March last winter(you were in on those too).

I think most areas are gonna do decently come Saturday and Saturday night...you included codfish :-).

11 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

Thanks

3 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I'm not sure anyone is getting a foot.  This has always been an ENE storm and we have been thrown a bone by the W trends which have seemed to have stopped and corrected a bit. You should be good for 3-4" and baking powder is certainly a possibility.  

As far as sweet spot trends, ORH is almost always the sweet spot, but yes, I agree, the coast has had an amazing run while Berkshires and E NY languish.  You and I have not exactly been skunked though.  Some pretty good events past few years.  Last Dec was actually decent in NW MA, maybe not so much for your area. 

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Anyone have codfish in the meltdown pool

Probably pays 5:2

He may complain a bit much but West has certainly not been best the past decade, just look at Albany numbers relative to long term average.  That being said, his snow totals have probably been above his average the past 5 winters. 

Archived