• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

5 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Good post and map! I'm behind the 0 line now! Wish this would be tomorrow 

Who knows I'd bet a good few of us will at least see some unexpected flakes, which is more than I got 2011-12

Heres the link

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17&parm=850mb&underlay=0&source=1

16 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Looking at soundings, the warm layer that is on the NAM isnt on the GFS. We're fighting the surface on the GFS. 

GFS does not do well with thermal profiles or warm noses especially. I would look at the NAM warm nose modeled and shift it about 30 miles north/west and you'll get a good idea of what will transpire.. I mentioned it yesterday, this warm nose is no joke and many are going to be disappointed when it comes roaring in and changes them to rain. Best chance of snow in NC will be mountains and immediate foothills, especially in NW NC. Anything CLT to GSO and east will be mixing a lot per NAM.

1 hour ago, Queencitywx said:

Looking at soundings, the warm layer that is on the NAM isnt on the GFS. We're fighting the surface on the GFS. 

yep...This is a real tough one for areas south of 85 in ne ga and the upstate because of this. I was really becoming pessimistic about snow chances where i'm at because of the warming trend by both models....but the hrrr and rap are giving me some hope. Both models are showing a strong push of heavy precip in a banding type feature and the rap is showing some optimistic temp response. There is enough dry air aloft that there should be a pretty good temp response just off the surface...indeed the rap is showing rapid cooling of 925mb temps.  If that low level warm layer can be overcome early here/upper savannah river valley/upstate it would at least remove one headache i think from the equation for the USRV...and maybe mean at least seeing some snow before changing to rain if that warm nose is as advertised. 

I still think 1 to 3 is the most likely accumulation outside the screwzone here but I  feel like there is at least a moderate chance than more than just a couple of inches is at least possible for the atlanta metro, carrolton, lagrange, and up toward or just west of gainesville. Despite the warm crap here, it's looking cold enough at all levels...including actually getting to freezing..or even slightly below imo west and southwest of atlanta, that they cold end up doing quite well. 

Rap is suggesting a changeover to snow as early as 1 to 4am west and south of atlanta...and temps already at freezing. If it does....there is a lot of precip upstream to come. Rap even suggests a changeover is possible here as early as 12z. Rap is a good 5 or 6 degreescolder at the surface than the gfs here at 12z friday too. 

refcmp_ptype.conus.png

sfct.conus.png

• Like 3