Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, yoda said:

Looks like a quick wave flies up the front as the cold front goes past us turning the rain to snow late Wednesday and then bring a quick hitting 6 hr period of all snow for almost everyone overnight

If I remember correctly, this scenario showed up on the GFS 2 or 3 days ago. As everyone knows, we need to get that cold front through the area first so that we can get some clarity.

Hmmm...I just went back and looked at last nights EPS run...good support for blocked flow and 50/50 late in the run. This is a sweet mslp panel for bigger storms. It's going to be a long 2 weeks. 

qq5v8qx.jpg&key=7c01ab43ee8d3303c2b056ae640c054ca2015f18d58e8c738b70c359533f6c3b

The hp at HL is something we've all mostly been looking at but that string of slp weakness and lower pressure from the 50/50 along the stj all the way to Hawaii with that HL blocking is drool worthy.

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Hmmm...I just went back and looked at last nights EPS run...good support for blocked flow and 50/50 late in the run. This is a sweet mslp panel for bigger storms. It's going to be a long 2 weeks. 

Yes it is. I think I’ll be ignoring my conference entirely on the 11th-14th because we’re going to be tracking a short term threat.  

We all just need to be patient. Next weekend has a shot at some flakes, but probably mood flakes from a week clipper. Anything bigger is a pretty big long shot, but not off the table yet. But the week after looks full of possibilities. I’m really liking the overrunning type scenarios that the GFS is throwing out. Fantasyland, for sure, but damn we’re overdue for some gulf moisture to ride up over entrenched arctic air.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yes it is. I think I’ll be ignoring my conference entirely on the 11th-14th because we’re going to be tracking a short term threat.  

We all just need to be patient. Next weekend has a shot at some flakes, but probably mood flakes from a week clipper. Anything bigger is a pretty big long shot, but not off the table yet. But the week after looks full of possibilities. I’m really liking the overrunning type scenarios that the GFS is throwing out. Fantasyland, for sure, but damn we’re overdue for some gulf moisture to ride up over entrenched arctic air.

Very stong sig for just that for on the 14th

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_49.png

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_53.png

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

It's entirely predicated on the preceding storm phasing into a blocking beast. Interesting run but the uber d14-15 fantasy only exists because the d11-12 fantasy goes nuts near the 50/50 region. Doesn't hurt that there's a 1061hp almost dead center over the pole either. That has to be a -4 AO or lower. lol

gfs_mslpa_nhem_51.png

For entertainment, that 999mb low at 360hrs is 932mb at 384hrs!!!!

1 minute ago, Ji said:

amazing winter so far....now we have to hope we get our first flake

So you're saying that right now at this point in time you're in right? I need to count the days before you cancel. Might be a record this year if things go down as advertised. I calculated your average date of official cancel and it's usually in October. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

So you're saying that right now at this point in time you're in right? I need to count the days before you cancel. Might be a record this year if things go down as advertised. I calculated your average date of official cancel and it's usually in October. 

oh i cancelled months ago with the JMA and CFSv2  had us in dark reds for Dec,Jan and Feb lol. I am looking for something that would make me winter cancel cancel

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

decisions of being in or not should always be made post Euro...I would defer until 3 pm or so.  you mentioning D10+ looking more wet than white certainly sounds less than perfect.  

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Calling Chuck!

I’d not yell too loud as luck has bye and large been in his side (whoever he is lately??)

no matter the outcome this is shaping up to be a highly unproductive time for us trackers. 

Bob I like the look but see more potential for northern energy to ride under us more than a true phaser. I won’t complain either way but am just pointing out an Ob’s. 

Nut

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I’d not yell too loud as luck has bye and large been in his side (whoever he is lately??)

no matter the outcome this is shaping up to be a highly unproductive time for us trackers. 

Bob I like the look but see more potential for northern energy to ride under us more than a true phaser. I won’t complain either way but am just pointing out an Ob’s. 

Nut

do yourself a favor and don't take Leesburg's bait

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

do yourself a favor and don't take Leesburg's bait

Agreed Mitch. I’m not, but I also am good enough with math and early dec patterns/climo and they alone say it’s tough to snow let alone snow upon snow as portrayed by some models.

No matter how we fail....it’s still failure.

Continuity is all we can hope for, and so far hope is alive and well. 

Going to be fun. 

Nut

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Agreed Mitch. I’m not, but I also am good enough with math and early dec patterns/climo and they alone say it’s tough to snow let alone snow upon snow as portrayed by some models.

No matter how we fail....it’s still failure.

Continuity is all we can hope for, and so far hope is alive and well. 

Going to be fun. 

Nut

wth have we failed at YET? the future? 

this is going to be a long winter

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived