Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mitchnick said:

thru 114 hrs., GFS won't look as good as yesterday's run (I don't think), but should be better than every run since after front is through

more energy behind it, but not as good as yesterday's 12z

I noticed the more energy part. Potentially a trend, but still pretty far out

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Realistically clippers are probably the best shot at getting some snow in the next 10 days.

I don't know exactly how this works but it seems the trough needs to be carved out quite deep for one to get under us.  this appears we are just on the cold downslope flow with no moisture to tap.  gulf is cut off.  the cold we got in spades

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I don't know exactly how this works but it seems the trough needs to be carved out quite deep for one to get under us.  this appears we are just on the cold downslope flow with no moisture to tap.  gulf is cut off.  the cold we got in spades

Not necessarily. Spacing is important. Something on the heels has a better chance than something several days behind....otoh...something trailing several days can do all sorts of things depending on all sorts of things. lol

Cold front is coming Wed. We know that for certain. Anafront snow is fools gold. WxUSAF has pointed that out several times but any model showing accum snow on the backside of the front should be tossed. That's not a way we get snow here. I suppose it could snow from the sky for a couple hours if everything lined up but the chances of anything sticking are zero in my mind. I'm sure most agree. 

Behind the front gets really muddy. Subtle changes make big differences down the line. We're just going to have to wait for 3 days or so before we write off or latch onto a threat behind the front. Even if the gfs or euro showed something sweet today, tonight, or tomorrow, it will look completely different next run etc. 

i know everyone is frantically checking every run for signs of the big one but its a waste IMO.  Let the pattern get here and then see.  Too much depends on how that goes.  said this a couple days ago.  Just gimme the cold air and if we clipper our way to climo then i'll be just as happy.

Interestingly, the phase does happen just far to late. However, the phased storm becomes the block that allows the next fantasy storm to work in our favor. Of course neither event has any skill but it supports one of the many ways that something can work out for us after the front next week. It kinda has the feel that we are entering a period where ops are going to relentlessly tease the hell out of us. Even though we can't take anything specific seriously, we can feel good that the upcoming pattern has many ways were it can work instead of the typical thread the needle one and done type of chance we often see. 

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

That day 14-15 storm looks awesome.

It's entirely predicated on the preceding storm phasing into a blocking beast. Interesting run but the uber d14-15 fantasy only exists because the d11-12 fantasy goes nuts near the 50/50 region. Doesn't hurt that there's a 1061hp almost dead center over the pole either. That has to be a -4 AO or lower. lol

gfs_mslpa_nhem_51.png

look at the 2m/850 neg departure temps at hour 384.  I know its way out there but wow...just wow...and the sick -AO...at least I think that's what it is showing at 500mb same timeframe...not sure how low but it looks like a beast even at that late timestamp

Just now, Bob Chill said:

It's entirely predicated on the preceding storm phasing into a blocking beast. Interesting run but the uber d14-15 fantasy only exists because the d11-12 fantasy goes nuts near the 50/50 region. Doesn't hurt that there's a 1061hp almost dead center over the pole either. That has to be a -4 AO or lower. lol

gfs_mslpa_nhem_51.png

Lol, oh yeah, absolutely. I'm more just watching the trends in the ensembles and the "totals" over the period than any particular system. I think its clear from these runs that we are entering a pretty conducive period up to the 15th for some decent December snow. Hopefully this beats my experience last year, my first year being here.

9 minutes ago, H2O said:

i know everyone is frantically checking every run for signs of the big one but its a waste IMO.  Let the pattern get here and then see.  Too much depends on how that goes.  said this a couple days ago.  Just gimme the cold air and if we clipper our way to climo then i'll be just as happy.

Exactly. We're still looking from the outside in. It took until the cold was just about established to know that we were in for a big snowstorm in 2016, but we knew that the pattern was there about 2 weeks before

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived