Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

EPS has trended like the GEFS with the WAR d10+. I actually kinda like it because both models show abundant cold nearby and overhead. The war should keep flow aligned along the coast instead of off the coast. The more we move forward in time the more it looks like an active period is on deck and less worry about cold/dry. I'll trade the risk of temp problems with multiple precip events and hug the fact that the last couple times we had a -epo/war combo it produced in prolific fashion. I'll prob be eating these words in a week....haha

Looking at the EPS, the cold starts to regenerate after moderating (but still staying BN) by day 13, so that by Day 15, temps are dropping again with the core emanating from the Great Lakes. I'm thinking my 12/17-12/21 call may be in jeopardy, but in a good way. lol Also, note that by the end of the EPS run the -NAO is rebuilding and there's a fat-azz ridge right over the Pole. Very pretty.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Looking at the EPS, the cold starts to regenerate after moderating (but still staying BN) by day 13, so that by Day 15, temps are dropping again with the core emanating from the Great Lakes. I'm thinking my 12/17-12/21 call may be in jeopardy, but in a good way. lol Also, note that by the end of the EPS run the -NAO is rebuilding and there's a fat-azz ridge right over the Pole. Very pretty.

How does the EPO look by then? 

EPS has trended like the GEFS with the WAR d10+. I actually kinda like it because both models show abundant cold nearby and overhead. The war should keep flow aligned along the coast instead of off the coast. The more we move forward in time the more it looks like an active period is on deck and less worry about cold/dry. I'll trade the risk of temp problems with multiple precip events and hug the fact that the last couple times we had a -epo/war combo it produced in prolific fashion. I'll prob be eating these words in a week....haha

Getting a little action with the WAR in this setup is certainly a good thing if you want better chance of at least moderate impact systems. Getting the baroclinic zone to setup shop from Hatteras on NE will open door for multiple waves to come riding up over the course of a week starting Day 7/8. Add in a chance at a clipper or two, it’s looks good for the first decent chance at flakes for the season. I love cold smoke as much as next guy, but I wouldn’t mind flirting the line to get in on some good stuff like you mentioned. Those highs to north will be funneling in some very nice CP airmasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12z GFS ensembles have it dropping from warm to cold on a few individual members and a large mass of precip... maybe thunderstorms to wind,cold,dry snow. It will be interesting to see what the next few days model runs do with this, maybe they develop a strong Low. We usually don't see such incredible warm-cold precip gradient potential. 

f156 (1).gif

f168 (2).gif

P003 at 168 is crazy

36 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

A nice look,  and tends to follow the thoughts of Isotherm in the NY thread . He feels the NAO becomes more negative after mid month and favors the possibility of a signifcant to major + event in that time frame of Dec 15 to 30th.   I am in   :-)

20 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Jeez.  Every run of the models is a joy.  

Yeh that EPS is a thing of beauty.  We Keep the -EPO going and then build back heights over Greenland towards the end of the run. If that’s right this pattern will lock in for awhile.  

30-day outlook from earlier today calls for a "persistence of below normal temperatures into the latter half of "December  ... and 

A LARGER COVERAGE OF INCREASED CHANCES 
OF BELOW NORMAL PRECIPITATION WOULD BE FORECAST FOR THE EASTERN U.S., BUT 
PRECIPITATION AT THE BEGINNING OF DECEMBER AND POTENTIAL FOR WAVES OF SURFACE 
LOW PRESSURE TO DEVELOP WITH THE AMPLIFIED TROUGH LIMIT FORECAST CONFIDENCE ON 
BELOW NORMAL PRECIPITATION VERIFYING. 
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/fxus07.html

5 minutes ago, Neblizzard said:

Yeh that EPS is a thing of beauty.  We Keep the -EPO going and then build back heights over Greenland towards the end of the run. If that’s right this pattern will lock in for awhile.  

It’s almost like it’s anchored or rooted....interesting 

35 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Getting a little action with the WAR in this setup is certainly a good thing if you want better chance of at least moderate impact systems. Getting the baroclinic zone to setup shop from Hatteras on NE will open door for multiple waves to come riding up over the course of a week starting Day 7/8. Add in a chance at a clipper or two, it’s looks good for the first decent chance at flakes for the season. I love cold smoke as much as next guy, but I wouldn’t mind flirting the line to get in on some good stuff like you mentioned. Those highs to north will be funneling in some very nice CP airmasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since none of us possess special powers to make it snow...lol...I'll glady accept any and every pattern that isn't a shutout. The cool thing is next week appears to be a flip to an extended period of a half decent pattern for snow. I would rate it as above normal chances (not that AN means much in the MA). Having brief windows sandwiched between a disaster and a torch really sucks. Especially when it lasts like 6 weeks. 

At the very least, the most important ingredient for snow (cold) looks favorable. We REALLY need that during the first half of Dec. I'm hoping the first legit threat isn't a climo gradient where I sit @ 35 surface and +1 850's with rain while PSU/losetoa6/sparky/mappy are afraid to post pics of their ongoing paste bomb because the mob will attack. 

7 minutes ago, Neblizzard said:

If that's the case I'll lose sleep every night waiting for the 0z GFS/GEFS. I'm not complaining :lol:

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Look at 18z Friday. Bone dry

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_32.png

I still think the late next week time frame is a bit early. We could easily score with a clipper in this pattern, otherwise its probably closer to mid month for something bigger. Good thing is the EPS looked super nice. This pattern appears to have some staying power.

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

It’s an amplified flow it’s just not sharply amplified and too east..but could change in later runs of course

These type of large sprawling troughs rarely work out, shortwaves often have trouble amplifying. 12z was probably the best case scenario, and everything had to be timed just perfectly for that to have any chance. Still could shift back but I’d say 9 times out of ten these setups end up as cold and dry with any low pressure being weak and well offshore.

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I still think the late next week time frame is a bit early. We could easily score with a clipper in this pattern, otherwise its probably closer to mid month for something bigger. Good thing is the EPS looked super nice. This pattern appears to have some staying power.

Yeah I love our chances. GEFS and EPS have brought me hope

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived