Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Pretty healthy snow swath from the clipper potential next week. We just need it to head about 300 miles south

gfs_asnow24_ncus_27.png

More like we need it to move 650 miles due East.  It's 500 miles from NVA to Dayton, Ohio and another 100 or so from Dayton to Indianapolis.  Take out a little waggle here and there for the indirect route of the Interstates and a 650 mile shift would be pretty close to bulls eye for us.

24 minutes ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

Let’s just hope that we don’t waste the potentially best December pattern since 2014?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That wouldn't be saying much lol. As I recall Dec of 2014 was pretty changeable and sucked overall. It was late winter where things got good.

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

That wouldn't be saying much lol. As I recall Dec of 2014 was pretty changeable and sucked overall. It was late winter where things got good.

Dec 89 is what we want.  That’s the gold standard.  Not sure if that is possible.  

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yea, wrong subforum to be talking about 2014. Winter didn't start until valentines day here. 2013 wasn't all that great either. It was better N-W but near the cities struggled. Don't remember which year (2013?) but DCA hit 80 in one of those Decembers IIRC. The upcoming pattern most closely resembles 2009. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, wrong subforum to be talking about 2014. Winter didn't start until valentines day here. 2013 wasn't all that great either. It was better N-W but near the cities struggled. Don't remember which year (2013?) but DCA hit 80 in one of those Decembers IIRC. The upcoming pattern most closely resembles 2009. 

Yeah I was at the beach for Xmas in 2013, in shorts lol.

2009 was what I was thinking, or maybe 2010. Either way, its been a long damn time since we have had what appears to be a really favorable pattern for December.

1 hour ago, StormchaserChuck said:

transient pattern

Winter cancel. I guess I’ll just stop having hope for any cold weather. Thanks Chuck!

Real talk though, as someone who only observed 2009-10 from the other coast, how did January hold out? I’m gone between December 20th and January 3rd and have this sinking feeling I’m going to miss out on he goods.

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Even if this upcoming pattern produces we can’t expect it to hold forever. But not gonna worry now.  

Nah no sense worrying. Be nice if we can hold this general look into mid Jan, then see where we go from there.

Looking at those panels side by side makes me a bit nauseous though, lol.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived