Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Forgot to add, that's if the interior sees 40kt winds :)

I think they will see 40-50 for gusts pretty widespread...if not tonight, then tomorrow on westerly flow as the deep Low moves north of the area.

Hopefully we get some big obs from reporting stations otherwise folks are left "estimating" wind speeds from things like uprooted trees, which 9 out of 10 times will be estimated too high.

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Quick question: what's the link for seeing this version of the obs? On the website I only see it in text form. Thanks. 

http://forecast.weather.gov/obslocal.php?warnzone=CTZ010&local_place=3 Miles N Guilford Center CT&zoneid=EDT&offset=14400

In the "more local wx" link within all point and click forecasts.  

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I think they will see 40-50 for gusts pretty widespread...if not tonight, then tomorrow on westerly flow as the deep Low moves north of the area.

I just don't get some who think it needs to be 60-70mph to see big damage.  Like seen, trees already coming down in 30-40mph gusts.  

I truly think people over estimate what it takes to cause damage.  Like a summer thunderstorm that causes some trees to come down and some think it was 80mph winds.  80mph would blow everything down, not a few uprooted trees along Main Street, lol.  It was more likely 45-55mph...which is a heck of a lot of force on foliaged trees.  

Hopefully we get some big obs from reporting stations otherwise folks are left "estimating" wind speeds from things like uprooted trees, which 9 out of 10 times will be estimated too high.

Yup.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

On the beach in Misquamicut, that ASOS at the airport is behind a big hill from south and east. Terminal Moraine and heavily forested  hill blocks the flow off the ocean

Just sayin...when you give a code I take it as meaning the actual airport.

You can see the LLJ quickly moving into SE mass on BOX velocity. Pushing 70kt at 2kft now.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm def looking at ASOS stations. Esp like BID, GON, and FMH for the coastline...they are all pretty well exposed. And for interior it is def ORH...by far the most exposed...esp from a SE direction. One of those should gust really high if the winds are going to hit the bigger numbers some of the guidance we were looking at. 

MQE will be a "fun" one for near BOS but it obviously isn't representative of much else other than the top of blue hill and maybe the top of the Pru or Hancock buildings. They have gusted to 60 knots in many an event that busted elsewhere. BOS itself it pretty good for a SE wind too.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Just sayin...when you give a code I take it as meaning the actual airport.

You can see the LLJ quickly moving into SE mass on BOX velocity. Pushing 70kt at 2kft now.

It's amazing how hard it can be to get those winds to the surface.  I mean 2000ft is not far up.  Just need to mix it.

Archived