Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

After catching up with the thread, I feel like it should be noted that the best way to forecast wind gusts is with sounding analysis.

Plenty if sites offer point and click forecast soundings now, obviously Bufkit is still the best.

Winds at 925 or 850 can show potential, but you are just using approximations and rules of thumb.

Wind gust maps are really just voodoo. You’re relying on a model to accurately predict surface winds (which they aren’t good at) and then you apply a blanket miltiplier to it typically. I believe the HRRR may actually try and use mixing height to pull down gusts, but the Euro maps are likely just a simple 2 or 3 times the wind speed.

That may be able to highlight areas of concern, but the absolute values and thinking there is any sort of consensus for 70 mph gusts well inland with this event is mostly smoke and mirrors.

Thanks for that informative post...I was always wondering how those gust maps were made.

The EURO being just a multiplier would explain how it takes 20-30kts and turns it into 60-70 gusts.  Also why the HRRR is drastically lower if it uses the mixing ratio to find the wind gust potential instead of a multiplier.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Thanks for that informative post...I was always wondering how those gust maps were made.

The EURO being just a multiplier would explain how it takes 20-30kts and turns it into 60-70 gusts.  Also why the HRRR is drastically lower if it uses the mixing ratio to find the wind gust potential instead of a multiplier.

As you know, wind gusts won’t mix down uniformly everywhere. Near the coast will be warmer, mixing depths should be deeper there. Likewise, downsloping will warm the column and increase mixing depths in addition to momentum transfer over the peaks. The Euro just seems like everyone gusts a uniform amount from the wind speeds.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I notice the HRRR and the NAM have stronger inversions. But, I think it may be too low. 

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

As you know, wind gusts won’t mix down uniformly everywhere. Near the coast will be warmer, mixing depths should be deeper there. Likewise, downsloping will warm the column and increase mixing depths in addition to momentum transfer over the peaks. The Euro just seems like everyone gusts a uniform amount from the wind speeds.

HRRR max gust product confines big gusts over 50 to the immediate coast but continues to point to Cape Cod as max winds over 60 with Phillipes core. Hoping it's right here

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I notice the HRRR and the NAM have stronger inversions. But, I think it may be too low. 

Wouldn't the mesolow tracking into SE Mass have winds turn NE to the west of it?  That's sort of a damming direction for low level winds?  Like wedge in there in the lowest levels with that SFC flow just to the west of that circulation.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Wouldn't the mesolow tracking into SE Mass have winds turn NE to the west of it?  That's sort of a damming direction for low level winds?  Like wedge in there in the lowest levels with that SFC flow just to the west of that circulation.

My hope, wedges are my friend

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It may just sort of slow the LLJ and in a very localized way..cause some extreme low level convergence and a narrow band of +RA. That's what I mentioned earlier.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You might be in a precarious spot 

Maybe, now we 30+.

I don't know what to think. In the back of my mind, I sort of err on the more cautious side and not go with uber winds. Obviously strong..but I think 65+ is east of whatever low comes up towards CC. Not sold on that here.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol ok thought Ryan posted something similar, will read back.

I would not be surprised at all if at some times people have relatively light winds interrupted by burst of good gusts. These type of events are precarious, and subtle changes in the inversion mean a lot.

A meso-low could do some funny things with wind, especially to the west.

Archived