Newest Member
    Toothache
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, blackrock said:

Were you "Nickysixes" or something like that who lived in Traverse City? Whatever happened to that guy? He used to post pictures around his home of all the snow...

There was no internet when I lived there. Nvr even heard of wx boards, chats, forums, etc..trusty NOAA wx band radio ;)

11 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Who's the second guy in the Get Hyped gif?

Umm..the camera man filming what was supposed to be a STRIKE it would appear..:huh: (nvrnd, wrong image..)

1 hour ago, blackrock said:

Yes!!! I used to listen to the computerized, man's monotone voice say the SAME thing over and over again...just waiting for an update!

Bought mine at The Shack circa '82?? and it finally cashed it in about 4-5 yrs ago. I liked it for Tor warn scenarios by batteries if the power went down. Towards the end, they were using computorized female voices and it was a bit easier on the ears. The early days were as you said, recordings of very monotoned men. When you heard a long pause, you perked up cuz it usually meant they were issuing an update! 

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

In all my years of weather enthusiasm and working in the field (with exception of some of the crazy RPM runs for GHD I), this is obscene. Can't wait to shovel my 3'+ of GFS snow. 88346e0bad021cad988f84c8e64e8e67.jpg&key=0226e1c1aa60a814fef6f766692dd43331cf571ebbdf73091d624a54277958f7

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

All I want for Xmas is once, just once, for one of these outlandish weenie clown maps to come to fruition.  Just once :weenie:

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

In all my years of weather enthusiasm and working in the field (with exception of some of the crazy RPM runs for GHD I), this is obscene. Can't wait to shovel my 3'+ of GFS snow. 88346e0bad021cad988f84c8e64e8e67.jpg&key=0226e1c1aa60a814fef6f766692dd43331cf571ebbdf73091d624a54277958f7

BRB.....gotta share this to Facebook just for the lolz.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If that big late week storm vanishes, I think I will adopt the old Ji rule of "go with whatever model has the least amount of snow" the rest of winter.  

12Z GEM

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem&region=us&pkg=asnow&runtime=2017122012&fh=252&xpos=0&ypos=0

0Z GEM

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem&region=us&pkg=asnow&runtime=2017122100&fh=228&xpos=0&ypos=0

Slight difference.

Another south texas HIT before we get any snow in chicago!!!

and 

0Z GFS

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=asnow&runtime=2017122100&fh=240

20 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If that big late week storm vanishes, I think I will adopt the old Ji rule of "go with whatever model has the least amount of snow" the rest of winter.  

That is a rule I have started to work on some. If something crappy is going to happen to lessen snowfall amounts, it will. Once in a while, it will lead to a pleasant surprise. Oh, and don't follow the GFS. It is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

If the euro ends up being correct, my area still has the opportunity to make it to 2018 without any measurable snowfall.  I certainly didn't go into this winter expecting to challenge any snowfall futility records.

On the plus side if the GFS is onto something we could have a very nice end to the month.  Unfortunately for us the Euro is usually what ends up winning out in the medium range vs the GFS, but hopefully in this case The GFS comes out on top.

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

On the plus side if the GFS is onto something we could have a very nice end to the month.  Unfortunately for us the Euro is usually what ends up winning out in the medium range vs the GFS, but hopefully in this case The GFS comes out on top.

Would be lol worthy to see the GFS be right for the 24th-25th and wrong for late next week.

I've been riding the optimism train probably (or definitely) too hard, but if we strike out through next week, punt til winter 2018-19 lol. I think/hope there should be a middle ground between the active look of the recent GFS is runs and the all out dumpster fire of the 00z operational Euro. Just need the TPV to not be too far south. The way things have been going though, wouldn't be shocked if that Euro run came to fruition.

It’s terrible patterns like these that remind me just how bad our snow climo sucks, and just how historic the great winter of 2013-2014 really was. Really was just a blockbuster winter. 

I would hate to spoil our futility record with a quick 1” snow Christmas eve, but I also want A white Christmas. Cold doesn’t look as impressive as once modeled. Tired of weak La Nina’s. 3rd one since 2011-2012 and they have all sucked. 

45 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

I'm going to Detroit tomorrow and then spending Christmas between Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio with my wife's family.

This sucks.

If you had come a week ago there was more snow on the ground in Detroit than in much of the UP. Of course thanks to the thaw now it's bare ground, only piles. But certainly a chance to see some mood snow depending how the Christmas wave works out 

Archived