Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

28 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

USA is the new Siberia. 1060mb. Can I have a hit of whatever the GFS is smoking?

sfcwind_mslp.conus.png

I don't think we've seen 1060 mb in the lower 48 in many years.  Maybe the 1980s?  I remember some in the 1050s since then... the GHD 2011 storm had a really intense sfc high.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

What a setup, my God

namussfc2011020118.gif.a9f296ca2a67dde4ac5740d5ada82d8c.gif

Despite getting screwed over by this storm here in Toronto, quite badly actually, it was fun tracking it. Just wish we didn't get impacted by the massive dry slot and poor ice crystals leading to considerably lower totals than forecasted. Would be great to get a similar set-up again. 

9 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The 00z GFS forecast for Christmas is brutal.  It's dropping a giant PV right down into the US with widespread sub-zero across the upper midwest.

9 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Dry cold is the worst. 

Just got done reading the medium range thread and haven't looked at the models for a couple of days. Brutal. Just when I thought this December couldn't get any worse. I'd much rather torch the entire month than suffer through hellish cold and dry.

15 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

For those in the in NW Ohio/SE MI/ and NE Indian- We are currently in the screw zone on all models with regards to Snow.  Being 7-8 days out from the Holiday, this is exactly where we want to be.  It's usually these areas that end up with the Jackpot 

So do you believe it will change again?

If anyone thought that 1060 mb high on GFS was crazy, 06z run doubled down with 1066 (!) mb at 12z on 12/26. For reference, the highest recorded barometric pressure for the CONUS was 1064 mb over Montana on 12/23/1983. Nice ultra high ratio synoptic and LES fluff over northern IL and IN into MI on the leading edge of the PV Christmas eve into Christmas Day on that GFS run too. Having a White Christmas would ease the pain of the brutal cold being modeled on Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JNichols said:

So after rereading a few things I'm assuming that that Ohio Valley's chances of a white christmas are diminishing if not already gone?  I'm seeing on the news they aren't saying much about getting any snow here in Western KY anymore. 

Still can't rule it out.  Cold air will be advancing through the Midwest around then but there are timing differences, as well as issues with any potential storm existence/placement.

2 hours ago, Frog Town said:

For those in the in NW Ohio/SE Michigan/ and NE Indian- We are currently in the screw zone on all models with regards to Snow.  Being 7-8 days out from the Holiday, this is exactly where we want to be.  It's usually these areas that end up with the Jackpot 

SE Michigan has Detroit. It will snow.

3 hours ago, blackrock said:

Ouch for the Northeast and New England. They get 2 big cutters right in a row through Christmas. Perusing their forum, they're definitely trying to use humor to cope.

Yeah, I think they are in trouble unless everything speeds up dramatically.  At least some in our sub may have a chance to chase the grinch away in time for Christmas.

GRR's NWS discussions on Sunday afternoons are always depressing for winter lovers. I mean, they have it easy this week...as the weather this week is meh...I have noticed a theme though that it seems like they let the warministas in the office out to crush the dreams of all snow lovers on Sundays... :P

Today's highlights: "Sunny and well into the 40s on Tuesday", "Thunderstorms possible at the end of the week", "Low Risk of Lake Effect at end of week"

1 minute ago, blackrock said:

At least you don't live in....Iowa. :P

I think it has been worse there the past couple years? Or close...

We've been at ~50% annual snowfall for the past 2 seasons. I swear every system makes special effort to skip us. Even in the summer. Pretty frustrating to see the latest system do the same. I think that's system 94,782 to skip us in recent years.

4 hours ago, blackrock said:

Ouch for the Northeast and New England. They get 2 big cutters right in a row through Christmas. Perusing their forum, they're definitely trying to use humor to cope.

They've had it good for the last decade. They got nothing to complain about, lol. 

We, as in the Great Lakes and surrounding area, haven't been fortunate with a widespread snowstorm in a long time. Were due for one! At this rate, the second half the month looks terrible as well. 

2 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

They've had it good for the last decade. They got nothing to complain about, lol. 

We, as in the Great Lakes and surrounding area, haven't been fortunate with a widespread snowstorm in a long time. Were due for one! At this rate, the second half the month looks terrible as well. 

Good point. I remember in the 90s it seemed like there were often storms going up the western side of the Apps and hitting the Ohio Valley/Great Lakes. Doesn't seem like that ever happens anymore.

35 minutes ago, blackrock said:

At least you don't live in....Iowa. :P

I think it has been worse there the past couple years? Or close...

34 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

We've been at ~50% annual snowfall for the past 2 seasons. I swear every system makes special effort to skip us. Even in the summer. Pretty frustrating to see the latest system do the same. I think that's system 94,782 to skip us in recent years.

MBY, just southwest of FWA:

2015-'16: 21.4" 61% of avg.

2016-'17: 13.5" 39% of avg.

Past 2 years:  51% of avg.

EDIT: 2017 so far: 40% of avg.

2 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Not sure what you mean about a widespread snowstorm, but there have been plenty. Our sub has too wife of a geographical area to get a storm that would please all lol

Archived