SnowHabit
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

My apartment doesn't have one, sadly. 

Actually when I switched to central in my last house I gave away my window units to people in my department from the south where the concept of no central a/c is apparently unheard of.  When the work was complete, it was an abnormally hot summer around here.

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think the foliage will be ok. I feel like every year we poopoo it early and it ends up at least normal. 

Lower elevation areas are still green and decent. It might not be "traditional" up north that brings people in from all over the country, but this upcoming cold shot could do the trick for what's left up there and into mid-elevation areas. Lot of leaves will fall quickly after this weekend, however.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Actually when I switched to central in my last house I gave away my window units to people in my department from the south where the concept of no central a/c is apparently unheard of.  When the work was complete, it was an abnormally hot summer around here.

Not having central air in the south is like not having central heat here in the northeast.  

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

36 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Not having central air in the south is like not having central heat here in the northeast.  

Yes. It's impossible to live in the South without A/C. Remember the heat wave we had last five days? It's slightly worse than that in the South and we get it consistently from April to October. 

21 hours ago, nzucker said:

Actually, January 3, 2010 broke the snowfall record at BTV and had significantly more snow than the V-Day 2007 storm. I think Burlington had 35" in the 1/3/10 ocean low, as compared to about 2 feet in the 2/14/07 blizzard.

VD-07 had meat on its bones - BTV's 25.7" had 1.94" LE and came with temps in the singles.  Jan. 2-3, 2010 brought them 35.3" on just 0.91" LE (high end ratio for LES!) and had temps 20s and teens.  It built a 5" pack to 26", but 4 days later (w/o rain or temps above 26) it had shrunk to 15"..The 2007 event lifted depth from 6" to 30", and a week later (with 0.6" dusting on 2/18) BTV still had 23" OG.  I'm sure 2 days of watching feathers was fun for the weenies, but the earlier storm probably had 10X the impact.

40 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Yes. It's impossible to live in the South without A/C. Remember the heat wave we had last five days? It's slightly worse than that in the South and we get it consistently from April to October. 

We learned this while visiting family 20 miles SE from ATL in August 1996.  Wx was about seasonal, temps maybe 92/73 with low 70s dews, nothing extraordinary.  Shortly after dark a TS knocked out power, fortunately after we'd boiled the lobsters we'd had shipped from Maine.  With little rain and no wind, even opening the windows could not prevent the house from becoming unbelievably sticky-stuffy in about 5 minutes.  And it's not just the south; kids had it when they lived in DEC, where the JJA climate differs little from ATL - less RA and a slightly less-bad chance of feeling a breath of CAA.  DEC's average max for July 2011 was 99, with corn/beans pumping up the dewpoints.

Temp was mid 60s for my 5 AM dog walk today, same as the past 2 days, but vastly different air.  Dews probably 50 or lower and a nice breeze drying things out further.

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

I graduated a long time ago.  Just went back for some refresher classes.  

Double Dry Hopped Fort Point Ale

Double Dry Hopped Summer Street

Vicinity DIPA

Mettle DIPA

Scaled Up DIPA

Farnsworth Street DIPA

Any of their DDH stuff is just sick good. Fort Point DDH has me salivating just thinking about it

30 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Saco River low9e3023bfe6e65c6cc4e654276fa073a4.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Trout raising dust with their tails.  Is that along the Kanc?  (Thus upstream of nearly all lakes and bogs that would help maintain flow)

Sandy River is getting down toward 25th percentile, but this time last year it was running about a third of current flow, setting new record lows for the date. 

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Vicinity DIPA

Mettle DIPA

Scaled Up DIPA

Farnsworth Street DIPA

12 of us hitting up the Maine Lakes Brew fest at Point Sebago on Saturday, Always a great time with 3 live bands, 34 craft brewers as well as food.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Vicinity DIPA

Mettle DIPA

Scaled Up DIPA

Farnsworth Street DIPA

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Any of their DDH stuff is just sick good. Fort Point DDH has me salivating just thinking about it

I have some DDH Fort Point at home actually. That sounds like a good place to start tonight.

Next step is Tree House though, I may just bite the bullet and drive out of my way on the next trip home to see the parents.

Archived