Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean there actually can be a little conflict of interest if I join the contest as an alum. I can make a climate site's precip whatever I want if I can give enough reason for changing the ASOS value. :devilsmiley:

Put in a forecast for 4.50" and then edit climo due to "undercatch". Checkmate on d1.

On 9/24/2017 at 7:39 AM, BrianW said:

My wife is from Vermont and I lived there from 2004-2008. Don't have the stats to pull up but I remember it being quite snowy and cold back then. We lived in Richmond in 2007 and the valentines day storm has been unrivaled since for epic snowfall. We would move back in a heartbeat if only the jobs paid more up there...

Actually, January 3, 2010 broke the snowfall record at BTV and had significantly more snow than the V-Day 2007 storm. I think Burlington had 35" in the 1/3/10 ocean low, as compared to about 2 feet in the 2/14/07 blizzard.

For the high elevation areas such as the Adirondacks and Northern Greens, 2/14/07 is still king. Parts of the Adirondacks had over 40" with that storm. Also, it has to be said that conditions were much more severe during 2/14/07 than 1/3/10...the latter event was basically powder with temps in the 20s and light winds that took a day to clear...V-Day was a full-on blizzard with 30-40mph winds, heavy wet snow mixing with sleet, and temperatures dropping as low as 10F. The 2007 event was definitely more dangerous and more high impact even if snowfall amounts were slightly less. Also 1/3/10 only affected the Champlain Valley as it was a mesoscale phenomenon due to convergence on north winds...2/14/07 was a large synoptic event that had an impact from NYC to Maine.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

damn it.  I should have went 85 instead of 87.  I should have subtracted 2 given winds were going to be predominately SE.  

on an unrelated note...do you know if there are any pics floating around of the cloud tops or like the leading edge of the 7/15/95 derecho?

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

damn it.  I should have went 85 instead of 87.  I should have subtracted 2 given winds were going to be predominately SE.  

on an unrelated note...do you know if there are any pics floating around of the cloud tops or like the leading edge of the 7/15/95 derecho?

Not that I'm aware of.

3 hours ago, WxBlue said:

Yup! 2 knots can be the difference between a good and a bad day in that contest. I remember winning a trophy once when temperature dropped 5 degrees right before 06 UTC because of a slight clearing in clouds on a cold, calm winter night in North Dakota. I jumped around my room like a crazy man and woke up my suitemate.

Very similar thing happened to me forecasting for Butte, MT haha 

17 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

This weather is really making up for that unbearable stretch at the end of August into September.

I have to laugh at my monthly extremes so far. The dates look like a spring month.

High Max: 85.9 (25th)
High Min: 64.1 (20th)

Low Max: 56.1 (3rd)
Low Min: 40.6 (2nd)

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Unfortunately mine is only a mental one...but it was epic.

Archived