• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Yesterday's high of 88 at CAR is their warmest for so late in the season - have to go back to the 10th to match/exceed it (89 in 2002.)  Sunday's 85 was also latest-warmest, for one day only (and the 23rd has a top of 86, set in 1965.)  They've reached at least 87 today.

GFS keeps us dry or nearly so out thru day 14 - would make 30+ days with less than 0.1" precip.  Maybe we can imitate 1947 - normal to AN precip thru midsummer, then dusty dry and fiery.

I'm gonna have to turn off the lawn sprinklers at some point. KBG has sprouted but going on two weeks watering now. Wish we'd get something from the sky

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I've checked the archived obs for BOS that day and they were near 80 at 8 PM and the upper 70s at 8 AM (they used to report at 8 AM, 2 PM, 8 PM).

So you could probably infer near 90 highs and 70s dew points.

that's remarkable.  I bet there was a sick EML present

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Yes

The ski area boundary in the lease of the state land doesn't include the walls of theNotch between the Gondola and Spruce.  That's state forest and the Long Trail runs through there, along with the best backcountry skiing in the East.  That's why Stowe is known for its off-trail skiing...you can ski from the top of the Gondola or Spruce lifts, down into the Notch (which also collects snowfall very well) and with the road closed in winter, you just ski down RT 108 back to the lifts

22 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I'm gonna have to turn off the lawn sprinklers at some point. KBG has sprouted but going on two weeks watering now. Wish we'd get something from the sky

14-15 straight days here with no rain after a dry Aug. There's no rain in sight thru day 10. And plenty more heat next week.Welcome to La Niña

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

14-15 straight days here with no rain after a dry Aug. There's no rain in sight thru day 10. And plenty more heat next week.Welcome to La Niña

I think it's crazy that in the monthly totals, Mansfield is dead on normal with rain at just over 6.0"....but only 0.03" fell in the last 3 weeks of the month, lol.  

6" in the cold pattern to start the month, then barely a sprinkle in the torch that followed.

The ski area boundary in the lease of the state land doesn't include the walls of theNotch between the Gondola and Spruce.  That's state forest and the Long Trail runs through there, along with the best backcountry skiing in the East.  That's why Stowe is known for its off-trail skiing...you can ski from the top of the Gondola or Spruce lifts, down into the Notch (which also collects snowfall very well) and with the road closed in winter, you just ski down RT 108 back to the lifts

Cool. So you have to come into smuggs from the north during the season?

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Cool. So you have to come into smuggs from the north during the season?

Yes.  It closes off that way out of Stowe...since there are big mountain ridges on the east side (where you hiked today) and west side of town (Mansfield), the only way out of Stowe in the winter is due north to Morrisville on 100 or due south to Waterbury.

It takes about 45 minutes to get to Smuggs in winter despite it being like a couple miles away as the crow flies haha.

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess I'm just a little surprised when so many places around you were warmer. Not trying to bust chops...just was curious.

Ha...****in ipad. I had a long response for you that I accidentally deleted. I'll reply from my pc in a bit. It's all real though...I can promise you that. :)

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

I realized I was looking at the wrong set of observations earlier. PVD actually peaked at 81 so you're on spot!

EDIT: No, I was right about 82 after all. BOX climatology report for PVD was misleading.

Ughh...I’ll fall back then probably from the 96 spot I’m in now.  

I went 87 tomorrow.  Way, way above consensus :yikes:

38 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

have you seen the painted lady migration

Yes, it's probably the most I've ever seen here.  Between my four main clumps of verbena and tithonia, I probably had about a dozen of them. 

Also- the monarch caterpillar that I rescued went on to successfully hatch and fly around the house briefly before his release.  Probably halfway to Mexico by now.

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There was a Light NE wind at LCI. So I'm not surprised there.

Another crazy hot day.   91.2F.   That is 3 days above 90F.   I know my thermometer is reading high for some reason but it seems we have been hotter up here at 1100 feet then places at lower elevations.  Can someone explain this?

Also I didn't realize what is going on with all these butterflies but our wild purple Asters have been covered with these butterflies the past few days.  I got to do a quick video tomorrow!

31 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Yes, it's probably the most I've ever seen here.  Between my four main clumps of verbena and tithonia, I probably had about a dozen of them. 

Also- the monarch caterpillar that I rescued went on to successfully hatch and fly around the house briefly before his release.  Probably halfway to Mexico by now.

A friend of mine has 5 monarch caterpillars and/ or chrysalis' on one milkweed plant right now

37 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Did you fit him with a radio collar?   :lol:

Archived