Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Another crazy hot day.   91.2F.   That is 3 days above 90F.   I know my thermometer is reading high for some reason but it seems we have been hotter up here at 1100 feet then places at lower elevations.  Can someone explain this?

Also I didn't realize what is going on with all these butterflies but our wild purple Asters have been covered with these butterflies the past few days.  I got to do a quick video tomorrow!

Did I see once that your weather station is mounted on a building?  If it is that’s at least part of the problem. 

14 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess I'm just a little surprised when so many places around you were warmer. Not trying to bust chops...just was curious.

I'm actually surprised you didn't question my obs sooner considering your familiarity with the area and your QC background. I'm a QC/wx observing snob too so trust me, I go the extra effort to obtain the highest accuracy possible.

I've always had fan aspiration with my setup. At first it was with the basic Davis fan using their solar power. Then I went to AC power and bypassed the fan. Now I'm onto higher end fans that run on 12V instead of the Davis 3V. I'm pulling 40-50 CFM through there now. Over the past 11 years I've gone through a half dozen or so different sensors. My station came with an older analog temp/hum sensor with a separate temp probe and hum sensor. Then Davis went with the SHT11 and then SHT15 from Sensirion. Then I made my own sensor using the SHT75 which has the least possible thermal mass. That sucker was very responsive, but the temp fluctuated 2-3F every minute like ASOS. I'd need to apply 5 min means on my obs too. Recently Davis came out with a sensor using the new SHT31 from Sensirion which is what I've had in there for 2 years. All of these sensors I've used have produced the same result...3-5F cooler than CON for highs in the summer and 2-3F cooler in winter.

I have 45 acres of pine forest to my SW-W-NW. During warm spells in early spring I get "fronts" in the afternoon as the cold air out in the woods battles with the warmer air mixing down above the snow pack over the field. There's nothing I can do about that. I live on the north side of a hill. I notice I retain the snow very well in the spring. My road climbs a quick 200ft up from "downtown" Franklin/Tilton and it goes up another quick 200ft to my south. So the angle of insolation is fairly low.

There's really nothing else I can do. I have the station mounted in the center of a field, it receives full sun until a couple hours before sunset, and I'm pumping a ton of air through the sensor chamber. It's mounted in that 5-6ft AGL zone as well. There are a few sites that run similar to me in the area. One is that Sanbornton RWIS. I think they run 1-2F too cool (based on isothermal ~32F events), but that 1-2F cooler is consistent across the board so we pull similar ranges. The HADS sites are generally similar as well although I believe they have passive shields and occasionally are prone to a high spike here and there. Also, I haven't been too far off from LCI since they upgraded the station from a regular AWOS. LCI only had a high of 85F yesterday.

So I don't know what to say. I used to worry about it too, but whatever I change I get the same results. I still think CON has gotten a little extra torchy over the past 2 years too, but that's up for debate.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Did I see once that your weather station is mounted on a building?  If it is that’s at least part of the problem. 

Yeah...Gene should try to get that sucker on the ground and consider adding a FARS or at least the daytime FARS kit to add to his passive shield.

12 hours ago, dryslot said:

Low 40's over the weekend up this way with some valley frost possibly north.

I expect the garden to die on Sunday morning.  It's looking pretty tired anyway, with only 0.04" in the past 17 days, and by September I don't even consider watering.  The 32 on Sept. 2 didn't cause any damage, as my instrument is a few feet lower (thus cooler) than the garden.  If we get good rad cooling with 0-2C 850s, I could get into the upper 20s.

Last 3 days 85/84/84, with yesterday's min of 61 making it the warmest of the three.  Also, yesterday's +19.0 is tied for September's greatest departure in either direction, tied with exactly 10 years ago, when the temps were...84/61.  What are the chances?
Another commute in dense fog, only today it lasted for the entire trip rather than just the first 10 miles, and another 60+ minima (which might not survive thru 9 PM.)

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I expect the garden to die on Sunday morning.  It's looking pretty tired anyway, with only 0.04" in the past 17 days, and by September I don't even consider watering.  The 32 on Sept. 2 didn't cause any damage, as my instrument is a few feet lower (thus cooler) than the garden.  If we get good rad cooling with 0-2C 850s, I could get into the upper 20s.

Last 3 days 85/84/84, with yesterday's min of 61 making it the warmest of the three.  Also, yesterday's +19.0 is tied for September's greatest departure in either direction, tied with exactly 10 years ago, when the temps were...84/61.  What are the chances?
Another commute in dense fog, only today it lasted for the entire trip rather than just the first 10 miles, and another 60+ minima (which might not survive thru 9 PM.)

I still have Tomatoes, Brussel sprouts and Cherry Tomatoes left to pick, But they are on the downswing and should be done this week.

43 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...Gene should try to get that sucker on the ground and consider adding a FARS or at least the daytime FARS kit to add to his passive shield.

Yes Brian,  I need to do this.  More accurate readings, not 25 feet off the ground.  One of the reasons I have not is that I'm so anal with our property and have not wanted an ugly structure out in the gardens.  I'm sure with a bit of work I could blend it in.  My station is probably on its last legs.  The anemometer bearings are probably shot.  The rain gauge screen is filled with leaves.  Ha, I'm getting old. Turned 61 yesterday.  Now getting a ladder and getting way up there is a pain.  Also the whole lightning protection system is wired to that mast since it is so much higher than the roof line.  So its a project.  For rainfall I now use the Stratus.  Since my readings are not official it doesn't really matter.  The one critical piece of info is temp, especially on those rain/snow days.  Is there a good stand alone thermometer you could recommend.  Perhaps I could mount on the north side of my unheated barn about 6 feet off the ground.

I also got to get your exact address sometime.  When I'm down in Tilton or Franklin do a driveby?  Visually in my mind it helps to see your hood and surrounding area!

Can't wait for tonights fropa.  Without the AC this heat wave really got to me.  Those poor people down in the islands without electricity, fans, AC...

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

It was sticky on Long Pond last night. Had a little trouble falling asleep with just the fans for a while. Eventually it cooled off to a comfortable temp though.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...you're kinda seeing it now. It went more SE and dipped to 80/81, but it's been more S/SSE the past 30 mins and back to 82/83.

Sometimes when you're forecasting for whole states and thousands of grid points you lose sight of how razor thin the margins can be on a point forecast. That WxChallenge drove me nuts hemming and hawing about 2 knots on a forecast.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Sometimes when you're forecasting for whole states and thousands of grid points you lose sight of how razor thin the margins can be on a point forecast. That WxChallenge drove me nuts hemming and hawing about 2 knots on a forecast.

Yup! 2 knots can be the difference between a good and a bad day in that contest. I remember winning a trophy once when temperature dropped 5 degrees right before 06 UTC because of a slight clearing in clouds on a cold, calm winter night in North Dakota. I jumped around my room like a crazy man and woke up my suitemate.

Archived