Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Just now, OceanStWx said:

That's part of forecasting, identifying which is right (or more right anyway). For instance, is there a specific reason why mixing would be lower than today on Wednesday? If anything with the approach of the cold front, stronger winds may increase mixing from today.

That's exactly what I need to further explore.  All the factors which influence and determine mixing.  One thing I want to start doing is using the technique I use for several cities and then make a spreadsheet of MOS forecast highs and what I get and then do a verification.  Did GFS handle things better than the NAM for this past weekend and the heat?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...the NAM generates some strange mixing issues with sun during the warm season sometimes. When it looks warm and the MET is way under the MAV I toss the MET further than my long island iced teas, off the side of the highway in Sherbrooke, in the late 90s.

Ekster just felt a disturbance in the force.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I was going to sign up for that as an alum this season and forgot. But ocean influence can certainly mitigate that mixing. The MAV/MET for PVD was not as stark as some of the more inland sites though.

yeah that's a good point.  winds were forecasted to be more southerly which would draw in some marine influence for them.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...the NAM generates some strange mixing issues with sun during the warm season sometimes. When it looks warm and the MET is way under the MAV I toss the MET further than my long island iced teas, off the side of the highway in Sherbrooke, in the late 90s.

:lmao:

2 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

I've noticed NAM MOS haven't been reliable in WxChallenge since second half of the previous season started. They're still at 81 so you might get lucky (I had 83).

this makes sense.  I now remember the NAM really struggling down the stretch towards the end of the challenge in the spring

20 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

this makes sense.  I now remember the NAM really struggling down the stretch towards the end of the challenge in the spring

Even before last season, I never like using NAM much in WxChallenge unless it's doing really well over USL and GFS MOS after couple days.

PVD just increased to 82.4 F, but I think they could be done getting warmer with the sea breeze about to kick in.

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's a shame this can't end with a giant severe wx outbreak

I was one step away from asking SPC for this marginal, but they've gotten upset at us this year for doing that so I refrained.

day2otlk_1730.gif.3e8065b764d0c9c47003f644dbc25ceb.gif

There is a little signal there for some severe tomorrow afternoon/evening. Forcing is definitely N though.

5 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Even before last season, I never like using NAM much in WxChallenge unless it's doing really well over USL and GFS MOS after couple days.

PVD just increased to 82.4 F, but I think they could be done getting warmer with the sea breeze about to kick in.

ughhh...damn.  messed up the low too.  I went 65.  Was going to do 66 but didn't take into account clouds coming so fast.  Hopefully they'll dip before 6z lol

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I was one step away from asking SPC for this marginal, but they've gotten upset at us this year for doing that so I refrained.

day2otlk_1730.gif.3e8065b764d0c9c47003f644dbc25ceb.gif

There is a little signal there for some severe tomorrow afternoon/evening. Forcing is definitely N though.

The other day I thought we could see some storms tomorrow (nothing severe) but maybe a few strong ones.  why can't we get a labor day '98???

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

ughhh...damn.  messed up the low too.  I went 65.  Was going to do 66 but didn't take into account clouds coming so fast.  Hopefully they'll dip before 6z lol

I had 65 too, but I'm okay with it. Good news is the consensus was 64 so we should have a nice scoring boost for going over.

Yesterday's high of 88 at CAR is their warmest for so late in the season - have to go back to the 10th to match/exceed it (89 in 2002.)  Sunday's 85 was also latest-warmest, for one day only (and the 23rd has a top of 86, set in 1965.)  They've reached at least 87 today.

GFS keeps us dry or nearly so out thru day 14 - would make 30+ days with less than 0.1" precip.  Maybe we can imitate 1947 - normal to AN precip thru midsummer, then dusty dry and fiery.

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

KFIT had 89s yesterday for highs after 90 on Sunday

No pool for me today, but maybe a final dip in tomorrow after work.  

My classroom is just gross.  Those who want kids to go to school year round can suck it if they won't put AC in buildings

FIT snuck a 90F in yesterday between hours, but it's looking like 89F today barring some strange big spike.

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Agree. Only 84F here and tolerable with low 60s at night. I'm most afraid of tomorrow night ahead of the front...could be tough to sleep with some clouds, dews, and light mixing. 36hrs from relief.

We snuck down into the upper 50s last night and I thought it was fine with a ceiling fan.  

I'm in Montreal now and my car said 93F in traffic on the highway.  

Looks like another day of upper 80s at MVL and MPV.  Still failed to hit 90F this warm season at both locations.  

Nice!  Yeah that's gotta be a hot one today.  I'm going up to Montreal for a flight to Munich (Montreal is a great option for us here at 1.5hrs away and several hundred dollars cheaper thanks to the exchange rate) and there's no relief from the heat by any Cu clouds today.  Just hazy hot and humid in all directions.

Just the one lone cloud trying to fight the cap over Mansfield's ridgeline, haha.  

Also, just think, you waited till late September to visit and got the hottest weather of the entire year, lol.  

How come Stowe doesn't have more trails between spruce peak and the gondi side?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Archived