Newest Member
    joxey
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Nice run... actually maybe a bit more northern stream interaction hours 54-72, we'll have to watch that in SNE because we can't afford this ticking much further north

BOS soundings look really cold... warmest at hour 66 (06z Saturday)... looks like 0C 850T kisses Boston metro and then retreats. Otherwise looks plenty cold. Anyone else have better resolution to see if there is another warm layer in there?

How warm was the surface in Boston? 

3 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Nice run... actually maybe a bit more northern stream interaction hours 54-72, we'll have to watch that in SNE because we can't afford this ticking much further north

BOS soundings look really cold... warmest at hour 66 (06z Saturday)... looks like 0C 850T kisses Boston metro and then retreats. Otherwise looks plenty cold. Anyone else have better resolution to see if there is another warm layer in there?

It's a fine line of dynamics increasing versus too much WAA....northern stream interaction is good the later it occurs. We don't want it occurring too soon or we get skunked with WAA on the front end. But if N stream interaction is increased late once we have already started redeveloping the mid-level center, then it's a good thing as it add dynamic height falls and cooling (along with heavier precip)....so obviously there is a balance to achieve...esp at our latitude. Monadnocks to Greens don't really have to worry about this unless something crazy like the NAM happens.

20 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Not here.....lol, GGEM 4", Euro 15", I know where i would lean.

You were too fast for me!  At first blush the areas hit and amounts looked the same to me but I deleted my post as soon as I saw the difference in the Monadnocks and SENH.  I didn't even get as far as ME.

8 minutes ago, klw said:

You were too fast for me!  At first blush the areas hit and amounts looked the same to me but I deleted my post as soon as I saw the difference in the Monadnocks and SENH.  I didn't even get as far as ME.

lol, That last system on the 14th, The Euro was spot on here, And the GFS was terrible.

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's a fine line of dynamics increasing versus too much WAA....northern stream interaction is good the later it occurs. We don't want it occurring too soon or we get skunked with WAA on the front end. But if N stream interaction is increased late once we have already started redeveloping the mid-level center, then it's a good thing as it add dynamic height falls and cooling (along with heavier precip)....so obviously there is a balance to achieve...esp at our latitude. Monadnocks to Greens don't really have to worry about this unless something crazy like the NAM happens.

Yeah it's a tight-rope. You can see how on this 12z run we close off the ULL, vs. 0z where it remains open, and we get better CCB dynamics. The surface low actually does tick further northwest, but the dynamics are better so net benefit.

JBenedit I can't see the cross sections but based on 0z cross-sections, surface was warm throughout. We (for Boston metro) really need good dynamics, otherwise it's slush in the air and wet ground. I think this Euro run verbatim has good enough dynamics to get us at least 2-3" in Boston.

11 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Yeah it's a tight-rope. You can see how on this 12z run we close off the ULL, vs. 0z where it remains open, and we get better CCB dynamics. The surface low actually does tick further northwest, but the dynamics are better so net benefit.

JBenedit I can't see the cross sections but based on 0z cross-sections, surface was warm throughout. We (for Boston metro) really need good dynamics, otherwise it's slush in the air and wet ground. I think this Euro run verbatim has good enough dynamics to get us at least 2-3" in Boston.

Yea. I don't know if this is even something dynamics can overcome. With this stronger system and closer approach, per the 12z euro those east winds at the surface are really going to crank. I think the boundary layer will be flooded with maritime air in Boston, and points north and west of there. The trick is finding where that effect is offset by the dynamics and it's probably somewhere near KORH, and draw a line northeast from there. 

1 minute ago, Whineminster said:

Ok, well 2011 was full leafs on trees, and people out this way didn't lose much power (so i heard, I lived in Natick at the time).  And 2008 was the elusive ice storm. Sooooo, yeah I'm still right.  k? 

In Feb 16 we had a small area of complete paste in NE CT with 8 inches of snow, the damage to trees was unreal and yes the power outages were extensive. 

1 minute ago, Whineminster said:

Ok, well 2011 was full leafs on trees, and people out this way didn't lose much power (so i heard, I lived in Natick at the time).  And 2008 was the elusive ice storm. Sooooo, yeah I'm still right.  k? 

Not really. Wet snow will take down anything. I have had a bunch of wet snow events in my areas since 2010 and Nemo brought multi-day outages with the wind and snow combo. 

2 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Thanksgiving a few years ago was a mess here. Dec 96 S NH was wrecked by paste.

Archived