• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

October 2011 had to the pinnacle of SNE power outages in recent memory with the leaves on the trees the way they were. Maybe some of our older members can recall worse, but I don't know how a more destructive snow event is possible. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CoastalWx said:

Not really. Wet snow will take down anything. I have had a bunch of wet snow events in my areas since 2010 and Nemo brought multi-day outages with the wind and snow combo. 

Well you just said it was windy.....sooo that's not "just paste".  I'm just saying, from personal experience, I've never lost power in a pasty storm.  Not saying it can't happen, but it's not like as huge a deal as people make it out to be, unless its windy.....or icy....or leafy. 

3 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Ok, well 2011 was full leafs on trees, and people out this way didn't lose much power (so i heard, I lived in Natick at the time).  And 2008 was the elusive ice storm. Sooooo, yeah I'm still right.  k? 

It was the end of October, the trees were not full of leaves. I lost power for days. There were a lot of transformers that blew. I can't even think about 2008, that was pure misery.

Just now, Snowbelt said:

It was the end of October, the trees were not full of leaves. I lost power for days. There were a lot of transformers that blew. I can't even think about 2008, that was pure misery.

There were still plenty of green leaves on trees, in Bolton anyway where I experienced the storm. Oaks don't drop leaves until a bit before thanksgiving.  

3 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Well you just said it was windy.....sooo that's not "just paste".  I'm just saying, from personal experience, I've never lost power in a pasty storm.  Not saying it can't happen, but it's not like as huge a deal as people make it out to be, unless its windy.....or icy....or leafy. 

You just had multiple people give you examples. And yes you'll have a little wind with this.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

You just had multiple people give you examples. And yes you'll have a little wind with this.

The only example I can think of (that isn't ice, wind, or leaves) is Thanksgiving a couple years ago that Dendrite mentioned. 

Now watch this be the one storm I lose power with my 500' long primary service up my driveway. lol. :P

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

October 2011 had to the pinnacle of SNE power outages in recent memory with the leaves on the trees the way they were. Maybe some of our older members can recall worse, but I don't know how a more destructive snow event is possible. 

Ya that was a disaster here in Central CT.  That was supposed to be/forecast to be rain, perhaps changing to snow in the evening..with an inch or two at most.   Started as Snow from the start, and went crazy the whole storm.  It wasn't even Paste, it was total Concrete!!  Snapped poles and everything in Site!  Out of School for a full week, and most were without power for 7-10 days.    

But during 99% of winter/snow storms,(at least here in my area) power outages are not that prolific.  But when you do get a paste/concrete job early/late in the season, they can be devastating. 

4 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

All of the technology at our fingertips, with advances every day, and we get maps that look like they were created with the Commodore 64 back in the late 80's.
Why is this? Serious question.

If you listen closely, you will hear Super Mario play in the background as you view those. 

6 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

All of the technology at our fingertips, with advances every day, and we get maps that look like they were created with the Commodore 64 back in the late 80's.
Why is this? Serious question.

you understand probability and areas better than most, its not a snow map Garth the great minds here know everything and can do better, I mean it might snow, it might not, looks good, but maybe doesn't. This is a Hunchie MPM Pete Dendrite  Mitch special, the rest of the crew meh.PS Ryan uses these a lot and usually is pretty adept at predictions of snow highly based on probs.And it is an ens map 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

you understand probability and areas better than most, its not a snow map Garth the great minds here know everything and can do better, I mean it might snow, it might not, looks good, but maybe doesn't. This is a Hunchie MPM Pete Dendrite  Mitch special, the rest of the crew meh.PS Ryan uses these a lot and usually is pretty adept at predictions of snow highly based on probs.

I don't think I'd "meh" the area from about Ray to metrowest and back west to ORH yet...this could be a pretty big storm there. Obviously the gradient on a lot of these products is quite close to that region.

14 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Yea. I don't know if this is even something dynamics can overcome. With this stronger system and closer approach, per the 12z euro those east winds at the surface are really going to crank. I think the boundary layer will be flooded with maritime air in Boston, and points north and west of there. The trick is finding where that effect is offset by the dynamics and it's probably somewhere near KORH, and draw a line northeast from there. 

Definite concern and I have low expectations for WAA portion.

But I think once flow is more NE/NNE when CCB impacts us (basically after hr 66 / 6z Sat), that will hopefully be less of an issue.

Archived