March 14/15 W & NNE weenies jumping from the Tobin Coastal Storm Discussion

powderfreak

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I guess you didn't see last nights Euro

ecmwf_tsnow_neng_19.png

That would definitely be nice. It is certainly riding a fantastic 700mb solution on that run. The question is how much weight should be placed on it in forecasts. Obviously yes I overreacted. I didn't sleep much last night having to be up at 4am for work with a 1 hour loss of sleep.

Just got around to looking at this 12z oper. GFS.

Fascinating to see that succeed in slipping the southern component wave so far passed, yet, so near to the 'event horizon' of the Lakes diving wave so as to avoid capture like that.

I really almost suspect that the native high velocity endemic to the flow is partial in why that is evolving that way.  If the southern impulse was just that much slower in its circumnavigation of the n-stream it really looks like that would be more successful in slowing down fusing - or, fusing causing the slow down I should say.  As is, it just has too much escape velocity (to push that metaphor further). 

In any event, that's a warbled oblong failure to really get the job done, so...

Not complainin' at this time of year to be blunt. I almost don't want any of it (digression for a moment...).  It's fascinating to track this and its appreciated over the alternative, which at this time of year is more likely the 40's over mud.  But, part of my druthers would rather it just be obscenely warm, early. 

1 minute ago, sankaty said:

Feb 2013 was close, but I think it was just short of 10" in BTV (can't find the PNS).  Obviously GON got crushed.  Any other contenders?

BTV didn't get 10" in Feb 2013... I had around a foot here on the East slope I believe but got almost all my snow with the northern energy and blocked orographic flow before the storm even really started down in SNE.

December 2003 saw 18"+ at BTV and Boston suburbs...that might be the largest widespread event.

Difference I see with the GFS and GGEM is the GFS shoots that lead s/w far out ahead and doesn't fujiwara with the trailing s/w until its up in the GOM.  The GGEM does all this further S & W hence the further "inland" track.  Here are the 54h panels for each where you can see the differences.  By doing what the GFS is doing it nudges the baroclinic zone East a tad.

gem_z500_vort_neus_10.thumb.png.9faa9ac1644d5397c4c31ddb330366b5.pnggfs_z500_vort_neus_10.thumb.png.db54ace579e560a1768212fb07143f0b.png

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Difference I see with the GFS and GGEM is the GFS shoots that lead s/w far out ahead and doesn't fujiwara with the trailing s/w until its up in the GOM.  The GGEM does all this further S & W hence the further "inland" track.  Here are the 54h panels for each where you can see the differences.

gem_z500_vort_neus_10.thumb.png.9faa9ac1644d5397c4c31ddb330366b5.pnggfs_z500_vort_neus_10.thumb.png.db54ace579e560a1768212fb07143f0b.png

Look at the lakes ULL. Much further west on the ggem

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

BTV didn't get 10" in Feb 2013... I had around a foot here on the East slope I believe but got almost all my snow with the northern energy and blocked orographic flow before the storm even really started down in SNE.

December 2003 saw 18"+ at BTV and Boston suburbs...that might be the largest widespread event.

December 2003 might be it, but I can't find a snowfall total for GON from that storm.

If the Euro verified, it would be extremely anomalous in that respect.

Archived