Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I experienced some of the worst driving conditions I've ever been in on the way home today. Gah. I saw the highway coming to a halt at exit 18 so I quickly got off and took rt 132 on the way home. Big mistake. Every few miles there was a car off the road or into a tree. I couldn't stop if I had to...I flew through one stop sign going onto 132. I felt like I was driving in a frictionless environment. It reminded me of the SE in an ice storm. 

Not our finest moment.

By that time all I could manage was a "I'm aware it's slippery" SPS since a winter weather advisory would have been too late.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Definitely a little disappointing to have a cold month and one storm to show for it. At least all of SNE had a good storm one way or another (Cape Cod had a good one prior to the 3/14 event), but it is what it is.

2 events here (out of the 4 that were seen long range at the beginning of the month). March 10 and the "blizzard"

Not too bad considering.

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Man Brian I feel for you.  I was intently watching my truck tstat as it dropped from 34 near PYM to 30 a few miles down the road, first noticed glistening in the trees then on the road then boom snow. Maine DPW was on it instantly but we did see cars off the road and accidents.Rough white knuckle drive, did I tell you how much I hate 18 wheelers?

Maine Turnpike Authority is totally separate from MDOT, and they do a good job, as you noted.  Governor is proposing to combine them - we'll see how that works out.  (And sometimes, less is more.  We headed for Illinois, where the grandkids then lived, late afternoon of Christmas 2011.  There was -SN at sub-20 temps, with Rt 27 and I-295 untreated and blowing clear.  Then we hit the Pike in South Portland.  Evidently MTA had put down that liquid salt, and the road was like a well-oiled griddle, with a dozen or more vehicles in the weeds.)

Definitely a little disappointing to have a cold month and one storm to show for it.

Odd month when my largest snowfall is more than 10X the 2nd largest.  Can't remember ever having that happen before, at least not in the 4 "snow months" - DJFM.

49 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

How's next weekend looking up there? I'll be up for a family event.  I'm seeing lots of 40s and clouds forecasted. 

There's no 50's or 60's in sight. Just cold, wet, ugly thru day 10 and there's big support for a cold period Napril 5-10 with one last shot at snow if it works out 

3 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Any reason why it feels like ultra high pollen count in my head the past week? My nose has been stuffed up like it has not been for years. ...complete with sinus head aches and all. I know the pollen count is obviously low so what gives?

Probably not pollen. There has been a wicked a sinus infection/cold going around.  My wife had, then I had it. Finally clearing my sinuses now after almost 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There's no 50's or 60's in sight. Just cold, wet, ugly thru day 10 and there's big support for a cold period Napril 5-10 with one last shot at snow if it works out 

Glad we don't live there.  57.9 degrees here today as I type this.  Looks like a couple days this coming week will be in the 50's to near 60 as well.

34.4F  very  light snow.  I can see the snow/rain line below my elevation.  Looking down the hill I can see for about 5 miles.  Looking across at the hills the vis. is much less.  Temp dropped to 32.7F early this morning but has inched up with the solar insolation.   Has been "virgaing"  for a couple of hours but the snow has made it down to me.

Archived