Total Members
    Most Online
    MDweatherman
    Newest Member
    MDweatherman
CoastalWx

Sunday SWFE..Monday Coastal?

41 minutes ago, SeanInWayland said:

I'll echo my earlier advice, Prof. C. Change your flight to get into T F Green instead, and you should be OK. I've utilized this trick numerous times and always been glad I did.

I know you answered my question earlier about moving my flight from Monday to tomorrow. I'm coming in on an international flight. So can't do PVD. So what day would be best for Logsn?

1 minute ago, bboughton said:

Kuchera actually less than the 10:1 on this NAM 

10:1 may be too high for some.  Need to get N up into C/NNE for better ratios.

Looks like CAR has already hoisted the blizz warnings for their coastal zones while GYX is still under watches. I'm guessing they want the current warnings to expire.

4 minutes ago, BRSno said:

Still looking too warm for BOS?

I think BOS gets 6+ but the potential runs from a water laden 4-7 to 12+.  Tomorrow will determine the outcome.  OES in the AM and keeping the waa mostly snow would be best obviously.

7 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

9" for you, 11 for me.

endless yellow pixels from Alton eastward.

It wouldn't shock me. I can already sense my anger growing as winds back to the NW and start sublimating away at my falling snow...not to mention blowing and drifting over my measurement area.

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like CAR has already hoisted the blizz warnings for their coastal zones while GYX is still under watches. I'm guessing they want the current warnings to expire.

They should go Blizzard Warnings as well

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think BOS gets 6+ but the potential runs from a water laden 4-7 to 12+.  Tomorrow will determine the outcome.  OES in the AM and keeping the waa mostly snow would be best obviously.

I don't think we can have a beast like this 100 miles east of Boston without having some crazy azz band pounding you guys.  Think back to 2/15/15, when the killer band was not well modeled until the night before...I believe RGEM nailed it first.  I like 15" for greater Boston.

from where I'm sitting this cycle of the NAM was about mid way between the 06z and the 12z in terms of particulars...

I don't think these variations mean a whole helluva lot - kind of like 'giga motions' as we close in.

It is possible that there is some very slight initialization difference that slightly perturbs this weaker on the off's but again ...even if so, the difference don't appear to offer any effective difference of meaning to the sensible/material impact of this thing.

40+ MPH gust enveloping an area of 10" vs 15" won't make any difference at all..   ... 12 vs 18... 8 vs 12... whatever.

My office (law firm) is in North Andover, and I need to kind of make a decision now as to whether we're going to open the office on Monday morning, because if not, I need to let my employees know so they can get some things done tomorrow that they won't be able to do from home on Monday.   What do you all think?  Is it a pipe dream to think we'll be able to get in on Monday?  

31 minutes ago, FRWEATHA said:

I know you answered my question earlier about moving my flight from Monday to tomorrow. I'm coming in on an international flight. So can't do PVD. So what day would be best for Logsn?

OK, understood. If you absolutely have to come into BOS, based on what people (who know far more about meteorology than I) are saying here, I would come in tomorrow. The weather conditions will likely be better on late Monday afternoon but I would be afraid of getting caught up in flight delay madness as the airlines scramble to make up for the hundreds of delayed and cancelled flights from late Sunday night and earlier Monday.

Do you have the option of switching to a NYC airport, say JFK? If so, I would come in tomorrow, head to Grand Central, and Amtrak it.

PS After looking at some of the guidance, definitely come in tomorrow rather than Monday if you have the choice.

1 minute ago, Dotb said:

My office (law firm) is in North Andover, and I need to kind of make a decision now as to whether we're going to open the office on Monday morning, because if not, I need to let my employees know so they can get some things done tomorrow that they won't be able to do from home on Monday.   What do you all think?  Is it a pipe dream to think we'll be able to get in on Monday?  

Let them know tomorrow.  Too soon now to decide.

2 minutes ago, Dotb said:

It's going to be a nightmare to get anywhere Monday. The AM commute will be an absolute trainwreck

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Let them know tomorrow.  Too soon now to decide.

I just hate having to drop stuff on them on the weekends without warning.  I'd rather tell them today to plan on coming in tomorrow than to wait until tomorrow and mess up any plans they have set up.  Of course, it'd be nice if folks just had the initiative to do it without the "gentle reminders," but I swear half of them don't know a storm is coming until the first 3-4 inches have already hit the ground. 

5 minutes ago, Dotb said:

It will be worse than Thursday's storm

2 minutes ago, Morch Madness said:

It's going to be a nightmare to get anywhere Monday. The AM commute will be an absolute trainwreck

Thanks.  I closed the office on Thursday, and probably should have had folks come in until 11:00-12:00 and then sent them home.  I just wasn't sure if this was a same type of thing, timing-wise, as that storm.  If it's going to already be bad come Monday morning, I think I'm going to start making calls soon about folks coming in for a short while tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, Dotb said:

I just hate having to drop stuff on them on the weekends without warning.  I'd rather tell them today to plan on coming in tomorrow than to wait until tomorrow and mess up any plans they have set up.  Of course, it'd be nice if folks just had the initiative to do it without the "gentle reminders," but I swear half of them don't know a storm is coming until the first 3-4 inches have already hit the ground. 

Maybe you should respect the fact it's the weekend and their Sunday off, and just let them have both tomorrow and Monday off if the storm is going to be bad. It's not like the weather is their fault; they shouldn't be forced to work Sunday just because weather dictates closures Monday.

The madness of the go-go-go mentality in the US.